Need to Helicoil and head bolt hole...question

Quickturbosix

High on PSI
Can this be done while still in the car? I would think it can as long as you flush the hole out. Really dont want to pull the motor just to fix the hole. Anyone happen to know the size needed? Any tricks to make this easy?

Also need to know if I can reuse the NEW head gasket I was putting on or will I need to get another new one and start over.

It was already torqued and I was backing the bolts off a 1/4 and retorque'n when this happened.

This can be done with the motor in the car.You can buy the heli core kit from any parts store,just duct tape the cylinders so you don't get any fragments from tapping in there.Why were you backing off the head bolt after tightening?

I have also had the head bolt threads strip on my block. My machinist let me use a steel insert (much stronger then a helicoil). I forgot the name but it is a kit that has a block that is positioned over the hole(the block is held in placed by a bolt off another head bolt hole and is located by a tap that is inserted into the original hole) and then the defect hole is drilled out, tapped, and counter drilled. The final step is to screw the insert onto a threaded tool and apply red lock tight and screw into the hole. The tool is slightly inlarged the further up the shaft you go, so it will install the insert very tight.
This setup has worked for me on three different occassions with the engine in the car. Just tape off the other cylinders and the lifter area and use a magnet to remove the metal that might get into the water passage.
good Luck,
Jeff Rand
If you like call up my machinist for the name of this insert.
New Performance
714- 549- 0188 (Ca.)
**** New

Originally posted by Quickturbosix
Also need to know if I can reuse the NEW head gasket I was putting on or will I need to get another new one and start over.

It was already torqued and I was backing the bolts off a 1/4 and retorque'n when this happened.
With the type of gasket you are using a retorque is not needed.