Need tips for 2/10ths

1980monteturbo

Turbowtie
So I mentioned to a buddy who has a 12.9 camaro to come to the track with me on Sunday cuz weather looks good and might be last chance before snow. I can run 13.1x ish on 110 oct @ 22-23#. Long story short, i wanna beat him. Any tips you guys can suggest would be appreciated. ( ie, paper clip, suger in his tank, camaro voodoo doll, have the wife flash him on the green light..) Im running what I brung and LC2 is stock except 212/212 comp gn grind. I a few other things done to support the V6, check my pics for vid and few more details. I dont have a scan tool yet. Saturday I hope to have a couple of hours to pop the hood and tinker. I doubt I'll have time to do major surgery ( winter project and cash strapped ), however Instructions or opinions to remove a screen on the MAF, shift point with this cam, using 26 or 27 " tires . I bet there are things I overlooked that are turbo tricks you guys practice, I have many years racing in the carb'd world.
I'm sure other guys/gals could refer to this thread later for resource.
Looken fwd to your 2 cents. I'll be on line around 11 pm to check out the post.
P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to my US friends.
2/10ths SS.

What other mods do you have to support the 212-212 cam? I suggest getting a taller pair of slicks (28 or 29in) and leaving the line as hard as possible. If you cant hold the boost on the line and you really want to launch hard apply the e-brake and spool it up. The reason i ask about the cam is because it would need good heads, 60 or up turbo, and a lot of boost. I run that roller cam in mine which will go low 10's around 130mph in the quarter next spring. I think its hurting your performance considerably. I hope you at least replaced the weak valve stock springs. You should be going 12.0's with the stock turbo and 22 psi with a 1.70 60'.

The simplest and easiest since you don't have much time, is to put some C16 in the tank and turn up the boost.

You'd only need 2 lbs more of boost to match him. 4 lbs for the definite win. And C16 will alleviate any worry of detonation since you've yet to get a scantool.

The simplest and easiest since you don't have much time, is to put some C16 in the tank and turn up the boost.

You'd only need 2 lbs more of boost to match him. 4 lbs for the definite win. And C16 will alleviate any worry of detonation since you've yet to get a scantool.
I assume hes running the stock turbo:eek: . I doubt it will make any more power if he turns it up anymore. Probably alerady blowing hot air at 22psi.

have the wife flash him on the green light.
Post pics of the wife and ill tell you if this technique will work or not:biggrin: . You show me yours ill show you mine:tongue: . Lol. I hope im not to far out of line with this post.

I assume hes running the stock turbo:eek: . I doubt it will make any more power if he turns it up anymore. Probably alerady blowing hot air at 22psi.

He'll make more power.

I took a totally, and I mean totally stock T-Type, hot wired the stock pump, put on 26" slicks, threaded the wastegate rod, put in C16 and a race chip, and with 28 lbs of boost ran a 12.6x.

I've recently read of those getting the stock turbo into the 11's. They were running more than 23 lbs of boost I would think.

He'll make more power.

I took a totally, and I mean totally stock T-Type, hot wired the stock pump, put on 26" slicks, threaded the wastegate rod, put in C16 and a race chip, and with 28 lbs of boost ran a 12.6x.

I've recently read of those getting the stock turbo into the 11's. They were running more than 23 lbs of boost I would think.

I ran 11.88@113mph 1.59 60' with the stock turbo back in 99. Boost was 23 psi. I had the dutt neck intercooler and all else was stock except for valve springs and injectors. Exhaust was open. I turned boost up to 25 psi and mph didnt go anywhere. I dont have dyno numbers but the lack of mph increase is enough to tell me the stocker is out of breath with boost over 23 psi. He is running a much bigger cam than stock also, which will further raise the effective operating range for the engine and reduce it for the turbo. Mine never went over 5k rpm on the 11.88 run

Her you go...

So I mentioned to a buddy who has a 12.9 camaro to come to the track with me on Sunday cuz weather looks good and might be last chance before snow. I can run 13.1x ish on 110 oct @ 22-23#. Long story short, i wanna beat him. Any tips you guys can suggest would be appreciated. ( ie, paper clip, suger in his tank, camaro voodoo doll, have the wife flash him on the green light..) Im running what I brung and LC2 is stock except 212/212 comp gn grind. I a few other things done to support the V6, check my pics for vid and few more details. I dont have a scan tool yet. Saturday I hope to have a couple of hours to pop the hood and tinker. I doubt I'll have time to do major surgery ( winter project and cash strapped ), however Instructions or opinions to remove a screen on the MAF, shift point with this cam, using 26 or 27 " tires . I bet there are things I overlooked that are turbo tricks you guys practice, I have many years racing in the carb'd world.
I'm sure other guys/gals could refer to this thread later for resource.
Looken fwd to your 2 cents. I'll be on line around 11 pm to check out the post.
P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to my US friends.
2/10ths SS.

Both were already mentioned, first find C16 racegas so U can turn up the boost, then open the exhaust. If that dont get u at least .3, I would be shocked. I personally run my car thru the exhaust, but Im thinking of opening it if I cant go any faster next year.

Right at 22.5 to 23psi for the one in my sig and it only took about 1 month and 4 trips for that car going to the track.
The last time it had been to the track was in 2002:eek:, plus the fact that i had not driven the car in darned near 2 years :redface:

Aint stock turbo cars fun :)

If she is stock, add that racegas, turn the timing up to 27° in first and second 25° in third, lock the convertor for second and third, have the stock injectors static and hotwire a good 340m pump.
Tune the car for zero knock and pretty much get the boost to about 20psi and work your way up. GET A SCAN TOOL!!!!

You should be able to get into the 12s on slicks fairly easy now that its getting cooler out:biggrin:

get a $20 thrasher 108 chip, put a dump on the exhaust and get some tires that hook.

22-23 psi with 110 octane should be 12.1's, not 13.1's especially with a cam.

Bison...the stock ic neck is very restrictive. You put on a big neck...that will allow more air at less pressure. I would agree you can run less boost with the less restrictive ic. Congrats by the way, on being one who did 11's on a stock turbo.

Bryan, congrats to you also. Impressive. Do you have a big neck ic?

And I don't think in his 2 hours to work on the car tomorrow he's going to be able to do what you suggest. All good suggestions, but no time.

He must run high boost with the stock ic neck, plus race fuel, and slicks.

Mr. Monte, you really should hot wire the fuel pump. That may take up your 2 hours right there unless you already have the hot wire kit.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

holy shiznit!

I have to get those hood emblims for the elky:eek: do you know if they carry them anywhere?????

Bison...the stock ic neck is very restrictive. You put on a big neck...that will allow more air at less pressure. I would agree you can run less boost with the less restrictive ic. Congrats by the way, on being one who did 11's on a stock turbo.
Exactly. Thats why i was still making power at 23 psi. It would be even more inefficient with the stock neck and be done around 20-21 psi. Probably 3psi more at the compressor outlet to get the same thing at the intake manifold with the stock intercooler vs. the dutt neck one. Only other easy mod i would suggest to get the et down a little more would be to lock up the converter in 3rd gear. Other than the open exhaust and high boost launch theres not much. He would have been better off with the stock cam vs. the 212-212 for his application. But still take ChrisCairns advise and try more boost. Never hurts to try.

Hi again, Hey thanks to everyone. I had no time in the first post to elaborate my motor and set up. But here it goes... Stock rebuilt block and heads with LT1 spring with comp 212 212 flat tappet ( too much cam? auto shifts a tad over 5K rpm , should try 5300 ???), stock inj, intercooler and turbo , carter 92 (or 94) street chip, K&N and Kirban 3"dp stock elbow. fp is 44# vac off. Hot wired Warboro. Traction was good on street tires!!, I figured out airbag/tire pressure set up, last time out 1.8x 60' @ 6# boost max is all the brakes could hold. FYI - 102.7 mph @ 22# , 100.1 @ 16#...not much gain :confused: , I agree that low 12s is under the hood somewhere just with tuning . Prefer to run through mufflers but opening it will be considered.
I have to say Im amazed at the times posted by members with similar set ups as mine. Are the tracks there run down hill?? ;) I have no doubt I'll be mid 12s next summer, set up is new and over the winter I'll pick up the tuning toys , race chip ( I will ask for advice in a month or two ). If time allows tomorow, I want to try porting the lip on elbow, Yesterday I saw pics of the pee hole that mates with dp and lip that mates the turbo. Yikes. Also carefully bellmouth the intake to intercooler, and to turbo with dremel. What type of hi temp sealant should I use for reassembly of elbow? I'll p/u 116 oct in the morning and maybe boost a bit at a time, had boost creep, I have a knock guage.
Thanks everyone for sharing there thoughts and experience.:smile:
These motors are more fun than carb'd nat/asp setups.
I'll check back tomorrow. Look'n fwd to your suggestions.
Here is Video of my chebbie and a hot air GN on alky a couple of weeks back. ( and short clip of buddies 71 ss rs Camaro )

did you try

try to unbolt the front swaybar costs nothing and takes 10 mins to do might help you hook and get the 2 tenths , get a good 60 ft and you'll smoke him at the line its all about the launch . spool at the ling till the brakes cant hold anymore and hold it there till the light goes green then hang on.

jamier, thank you for posting.

I saw the video, and the other car appeared to have the right wheel and tire combo, but for some reason...... What was his time?
Man, they both looked like 12 second cars to me??

Its been 24 hours, how did you do?
BW

Hi BW and Boyz
Thanks for tips
I made it to the track but went solo. My Buddy's wife made plans for friends to come over , house warming party at his new home and he had to cancel. He had no idea untill Saturday. Just as well, It was a bitter sweet day. I ran slower et but new best mph. Saturday I pulled the stock elbow and ported it which probably helped the MPH. It was cloudy and cool and I just couldnt hook. 1.9x/60' My second objective was to run my first 12 sec run but could only muster up 13.3/103.25 @ 22#. When I cranked it up to 24 then 25# with 46# fp line off., mph went down to 102 then 101. No knock. Lots of heat from heater when returning to pit. Knowing more boost was no help with current set up I restored to same tune when I ran 13.0x and left easy and got the new best mph. Had my buddy came I would of borrowed his slicks and very likely run a better 60' time and maybe crack a 12. Had a great time though, 5 or 6 GNs were there blowing head gaskets, popping hoses, or getting booted from the track for running 9s with no cage. They really were great bunch of guys.
I have pictures and soon videos.
Is my mph about right with my set up.? When you guys where at this stage (mine) what were your mph's.
Two things I need for next year are slick and race chip.
jamier, thank you for posting.

I saw the video, and the other car appeared to have the right wheel and tire combo, but for some reason...... What was his time?
Man, they both looked like 12 second cars to me??

Its been 24 hours, how did you do?
BW

I can help you get where you want to be

I also know of a duttwiler neck intercooler that will be forsale very soon,

you should think about an injector upgrade, those injectors are 20 years old...

a custom chip by Turbo tweak with High timing will help a lot too....

PM me or e mail,

camaro_ragtop@hotmail.com

p.s. Pretty amazing to see a stock block GN run 9s huh