Need Suggestions on H.V. Oil. Pumps

EddieB

I'll Be Your Huckleberry
I need to get a little better oil pressure in my Turbo-T and was wondering what some of you guys do for a high volume pump/cover. Maybe where to get one or maybe just change a spring or something. ANy information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

What's the pressure now? Have you thought about doing bearings? They could buy you a little time untill you can rebuild. Easy enough job and you get to do the rear main too!:cool:

actually I just did rod bearings, and the mains looked fine, but my Oil pressure is still pretty low. I have a thumbwheel chip so after i stop at a red light the engine surges up and down a couple of times before it settles RPM. Well when it is on the low RPM side of the surge it falls to about 7 psi. (light flashes also)...The rest of the time the pressure is OK, Just dont like it when it dips.

Thanks,

Some of us prefer the stock pump and cover clearanced properly.

Next preference would be the steel plate mod kit, again clearanced properly. :)

I agree with steve. You don't need GIANT oil pumps! My car did the same thing for the last couple of years, 10# hot idle,45-50 WOT (15-50 mobil one). It bothered me too but it survived 3 years like that. My problem was the crank needed turning (it was original std) but I rebuilt the whole thing anyway. You should fix it the right way but if you can't, your motor might get by with a bigger pump. (no telling how long and don't forget, if you rebuild before it breaks you'll be doing your wallet a favor) Good luck!

I'd say you only need install a booster plate between the pump housing and pump cover. Very effective upgrade, and will increase your idle psi 5-7psi. Basically it covers the cavity used by the by-pass, besides providing a new wear surface for the pump gears. A small operation is required on the pump cover also.

another one that dont like h/v pumps

if you just put bearings in did you just go with standard or .001 or .002 unders??

some came factory with .001 bearings and if it was standard to start with im sur it could use .001 unders by now

in mine the rod bearings were .001 under factory and the mains were std. and now it has.002 under on the rods and .001 on the mains

if you took out .001 unders and put standard in you actually made it worse

that makes sense Red, I did put std brgs in it and I took out .001's. Didnt even thik about that. looks like I need to order some .002 brgs. Good thing they are fairly easy to replace. Thank you all for the info.

Take care

.002 bearings

Eddie, if you find some .002 main and rod bearings let me know. I've been looking for some for my steel crank and haven't been able to find any.

Keith

I'll definately do that Keith. Looks like the quest is on for the ,002 bearings. ;)

Not sure if King Bearings makes a .002 bearing...Give Ramchargers a call...I think they have the .001 bearings in stock though...Even if you put .001 back in, you will be way better than you were before...The cranks don't wear near as much as the bearings do, and I doubt that you even have .0005 wear on the crank, so putting .001 back in would be fine...