Need speaker help....

DARK HELMET

Hey guys, I am new the whole gn thing. I really dont know much about them.
Just bought one yesterday.

Its a 86 Grand National with t-tops. Thing is the speakers in the car suck. I want something thats gonna sound really good and loud enough when I have the tops off.

It already has a aftermarket radio but I'm gonna replace that with something new.

My question is....

I want aftermarket speakers that are gonna be a direct fit. (I don't want to do any cutting).

which ones do I buy?

My rears rattled something fierce, and since I still had factory everything back there I didn't want to cut anything either, so I bought these:

Eclipse SE8405 4×10" 3 Way CAR SPEAKER Speakers New ! - eBay (item 140195546434 end time Jan-10-08 16:05:13 PST)

Those fit right into the factory bracket, though I did have to cut the factory speaker connection and solder the wires in place but they fit right in the brackets at least.

I put 'em in and am quite happy with the sound. Now I can hear the dash speakers rattle some too, so... time to find some dash replacements too!

Mine has speakers in the door, yes, not sure if that's all TR's or not. There's a very obvious place the speaker is:

0fbe_3.jpg

Not a great picture but you can see the speaker at the front of the black carpet portion at the bottom of the door.

Mine has speakers in the door, yes, not sure if that's all TR's or not. There's a very obvious place the speaker is:

0fbe_3.jpg

Not a great picture but you can see the speaker at the front of the black carpet portion at the bottom of the door.

cool, thanks. when i looked it was too dark in the garage so i didnt see. ill have to check again

Hoping to piggy-back on this post.

I have the Concert Sound II system in my 87. It has two rear, two front in-dash, and one in each door (6-total).

Mine sick too.

Thanks for the rear speaker info. I would also like to find good "no-cutting" replacements for the dash & doors. Are all four of these common (interchangable)?

Is someone out there who whet to one place and bought all 6 speakers of one brand name and basically screwed them down & plugged them in?

I am sure others are equally curious.

Thanks guys.

I put the Eclipse 4x10's in the rear and I like them fine, heard some rattling from the dash speakers (now that the rattle from the rear is gone) so I ordered Eclipse 3.5's and 5.25's for the dash/doors and new dew swipes for the door so as soon as the speakers get here (dew wipes are here) I'm gonna report back how it went.

Best I can tell the 3.5's for the dash are gonna require some... work.

My car I know for sure has the 2 in the front, and 2 in the back.

However, I am not sure if they have one on each door though. I haven't heard them when I have played music, that's for sure. I assume mine is one car that just didn't come with the 2 in the sides?

From what I found doing some searching, is, if the tweeter sticks up above the mounting brackets much at all, you either have to mount the speaker UNDER the mounts or get a little creative. Looking at those pics, those speakers look mighty flat so if I had to guess I'd say those will fit with almost no issue.

That's a guess, definitely let us all know how it goes for you!

My 86 GN had only the 2 front and 2 rear speakers as well.
I got the exact replacements from Kirban's (but they're not "concert" quality by any means...........but they fit right in ! :)

From what I found doing some searching, is, if the tweeter sticks up above the mounting brackets much at all, you either have to mount the speaker UNDER the mounts or get a little creative. Looking at those pics, those speakers look mighty flat so if I had to guess I'd say those will fit with almost no issue.

That's a guess, definitely let us all know how it goes for you!

i will definetly keep you guys updated on it

Indeed, I'm interested in knowing if this setup works. Because if it does, I'm jumping on board too! :)

4x10s fit, and are drop in, but a 6x9 is almost always better (simply more technology in most 6x9s since they are more widely used), and will gain midbass for those who do not want to run a subwoofer. Kicker used to make a free air 6x9 called the f69 that did a great job adding bass tp cars via rear deck free air mounting. Many people build wood baffles and do 6x9 rear, 3.5 coax in dash and 6" in doors. The options are near endless on what can fit and will fit w/ a lil skill and a recip saw

Crutchfield also has adapters to go from 4x10 to 6x9 speakers... Work great for me... Fit just fine even with the trunk tortion bars there.