Need some insight. Any gunsmith in here?

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
I have this POS S&W 22a-1 that keeps jamming. :mad:
This was my first gun and love target shooting with it . . . . which is why I still own it . . . . but getting to the end of my rope.

The slide pulls the second bullet out of the clip while loading . . . and it jams the gun.
It was fine with some cheap loads for around 400 rounds . . . .This gun is currently pretty much useless.

I have cleaned and lube'd the gun, and tried the CCI loads per S&W.
Gun has fired maybe 800 rounds.
I have looked at the magazines (2) and don't think it's the spring tension.
Looked at brand new clips and the springs feel about the same . . . I stretched the spring in the clip and that did not make a difference.

Any ideas?

First thing you might try is a new clip Jerryl. I have a 22 M1 carbine copy that had a simular issue and had to modify the follower to fix the issue. New clips are available for yours so get a new one first and if that doesn't work you might want to bring it up for a little work. I still do some work on the side on some things.;)

First thing you might try is a new clip Jerryl. I have a 22 M1 carbine copy that had a simular issue and had to modify the follower to fix the issue. New clips are available for yours so get a new one first and if that doesn't work you might want to bring it up for a little work. I still do some work on the side on some things.;)
Well, guess I will buy another clip . . . . S&W is proud of their junk. :eek:

Well, it's not the clip.
Brand new S&W clip, same thing.

It's going to back to S&W . . . .

Contact S&W to get the info you need to ship it Jerryl. It will have to be shipped UPS next day air due to new federal regs. Handguns have to be shipped this way now due to stupid people being in charge.:mad:

i have 3 smith 9's and had a 4th as well. i never ever had a problem of any sort !!!! my keltec p32 on the other hand i would like to throw it in a river

I have a S&W 22 A-1 as well, never an issue with it loading. Put over 1k rounds through it so far, not a hiccup.

Good luck getting yours straightened out, that sucks.

I have a S&W 22 A-1 as well, never an issue with it loading. Put over 1k rounds through it so far, not a hiccup.

Good luck getting yours straightened out, that sucks.
Good info.
I have read mixed reviews of this model and your testimony renews my faith in S&W.

Good info.
I have read mixed reviews of this model and your testimony renews my faith in S&W.

How's it pulling the second bullet out of the Mag?? Is the slide moving forward, loading the next round and pulling the one below it as well??

I just tore mine down, and it's an incredibly simple design... the bottom of the bolt is smooth, so if you have any kind of casting material on it that may be catching the second bullet after the front of the bolt catches the top one moving it into the chamber.

Here's some pics of mine, and the area I'm talking about. Looking at the bottom of my bolt, it actually looks like there's been some grinding done towards the back of it. Maybe the shop where I got mine took care of it before I got it.

The Gun:
WP_000240.jpg

Broke down, with the Mag in... bottom of the bolt has to slid up through the center of the mag to catch the bullet:
WP_000249.jpg

Bolt... see the center that catches the rounds:
WP_000247.jpg

Direct view of the bottom of the bolt.. see the rear of the bolt (Right hand side).. looks like someone did some grinding on it... maybe an area of yours to check:
WP_000244.jpg

HTH.

How's it pulling the second bullet out of the Mag?? Is the slide moving forward, loading the next round and pulling the one below it as well??

I just tore mine down, and it's an incredibly simple design... the bottom of the bolt is smooth, so if you have any kind of casting material on it that may be catching the second bullet after the front of the bolt catches the top one moving it into the chamber.
It is in fact a very simple design and that's what makes the problem so strange.
I spoke to a guy at a local store last week who managed the firearms department at Gander Mountain . . . explained it to him and he said "It need to go back to S&W".
I will post a video next week when we get back.

Edit:
Thanks for posting the pics!
Mine has a 45deg chamfer in the area where yours is ground.

Got the gun back from S&W, repaired under warranty. They feed ramp was "polished" and the store says it works. Cycling the gun, it appears to be fine. Someday I will be the judge of that. LOL

Around 11:15 - This is exactly what S&W did.

Sell it. Buy an m&p .22

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I am about ready for that. :mad:
Since the repair, the gun fired 4 times and jammed on me. Dropped it of at the gun smith, they cleaned it, they fired it twice, and jammed again on them. So its not me . . . :eek:

Semi auto .22's, though often so simple, can be most problematic to get running right. They're very feed sensitive due to the ammo design and also all of the ammo inconsistency. I would surmise that any incorporating a "ramp" as aggressive as yours is designed would likely be hit and miss and take lots of tuning and fairy dust to make run 100%. Did you try jacketed ammo?

The .22 designs that feed "straight in" off the mag are usually much better from my experience.

Very true Stagell. MOST semi or full auto .22's SUCK. Honestly. ESPECIALLY with straight lead. Use copper washed round nose if you can help it. Keep it clean too. And, it's magazine not clip. Also, S&W is anti gun. Read about Clinton and Wesson. I wouldn't give another dime to that company honestly. Plus, check to see who makes that .22 pistol. A LOT of .22 pistols are not made by the company whos name is stamped on the gun. .22's are often subbed out believe it or not.