Need some help on i/c

So you are planning on a water to air IC for a street car?

Thats the plan to free up some room under the hood. They do it with every Cobra that comes of the line and there are plenty of them around here that make 600hp+. I think if its done right it will work fine I just want to make sure I have a core large enough.

Cobras also suffer from heat soak due to that as well. Even with the larger AFCO Heat exchanger & for exampl say a stagmeyer ported blower they still nose over from back to back runs.

IMO I think a FMIC would be a better set up for a "Street" car. Idling in traffic and such, running A/C, etc with a water to air.
Dont get me wrong it can be done I just feel it will be a PITA and very expensive

This is not a daily driver just a weekend and when it runs a few trips to the track but can be driven (3.08 gears, 4l80 trans). I see your point but for what I am doing I think it will be fine. This will free up alot of room because I will put my radiator where the i/c is now and put the turbo in front of the engine to make it look more uniform.

Attachments

• headers 011.JPG
    headers 011.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 198
Well I have to admit I like to drive to the track and pick on the drag cars. The motorcycles on the interstate are fun to mess with to.

Can some one please tell if this core will support 1000hp? This will go on a street car and will end up being between 700 to 800hp. I have been told I need a i/c that is rated double what I plan to make.
Garrett Air to Liquid Intercooler Core 1000HP : atpturbo.com

It should be fine. I had one rated at 1800 and it had plenty of room to go with a larger water pump. I know it was capable of over 2000 with it's 1800 rating.

I guess alot of it will depend on how it's rated. If it's rated to cool 1000hp to a certain temp then the temp of the water will have a large effect on how well it works. If it's rated to flow 1000hp worth of air, I would look for something a little bigger.

It should be fine. I had one rated at 1800 and it had plenty of room to go with a larger water pump. I know it was capable of over 2000 with it's 1800 rating.

I guess alot of it will depend on how it's rated. If it's rated to cool 1000hp to a certain temp then the temp of the water will have a large effect on how well it works. If it's rated to flow 1000hp worth of air, I would look for something a little bigger.

Reed said it was at 78deg water temp and 103deg air temp does that sound right.

This is off topic, but are you planning on redoing your fuel lines? It would be better to T into both rails than to have one inlet, loop to the other rail, and then to the regulator. I noticed it in your pic.

This is off topic, but are you planning on redoing your fuel lines? It would be better to T into both rails than to have one inlet, loop to the other rail, and then to the regulator. I noticed it in your pic.

Yes I was thinking about doing that. I am changing alot of things at one time one of which is a new sumped fuel tank. I am also pulling the engine and raising the compression from 7.8 to 9.25, new used pt88 turbo, new headers and cross over, and a new i/c set up. I want the car to run around 9.50s in street trim. Thanks for the help Dusty and tell Todd he needs to thank me for taking that chrome turbo off his hands.jk (I think I may order a new cover)