Need help with FAST XFI decision

theMonch

2QIK4U
I was going to upgrade my setup with a GEN II MAFTPro a LT1 MAF and a powerlogger and a Turbo Tweak chip. These items together will cost me approximately $600. I wanted to see if I could skip to the chase and do a FAST upgrage. I have no experience with the FAST unit and have a few questions that might help my decision. I realize that there is quite a price difference to upgrage to the FAST XFI, but If I can "skip to the chase", so to say, I have no problem ponying up the extra money.

1. What is needed to do a "factory harness" installation of the unit. I don't want to have to re-harness the engine.

2. Does the FAST ECM still have a "chip" in it the same as a stock ECM, or is that completely done away with since the engine monitoring can now be directly updated via laptop.

3. What are the choices for MAF that work with the FAST system? does it use one?, are there even choices?

4. I already have a wideband o2 that is currently just running a gauge. (AEM) Do I need to have a second wideband installed for the FAST or can I "piggyback" off of the same sensor?

5. I also already have a 3 bar map (came with razor alky kit) currently. Can this also be used instaed of the FAST unit.

6. Can anyone recommend anyone for an inital tune after I get the system installed? I am in Northern NJ. I am going to stop by and talk to the guys over at Stage 1 in Pompton Lakes as soon as I get a chance to see if they are up for it, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I was going to upgrade my setup with a GEN II MAFTPro a LT1 MAF and a powerlogger and a Turbo Tweak chip. These items together will cost me approximately $600. I wanted to see if I could skip to the chase and do a FAST upgrage. I have no experience with the FAST unit and have a few questions that might help my decision. I realize that there is quite a price difference to upgrage to the FAST XFI, but If I can "skip to the chase", so to say, I have no problem ponying up the extra money.

1. What is needed to do a "factory harness" installation of the unit. I don't want to have to re-harness the engine. there's an adapter that uses the stock harness

2. Does the FAST ECM still have a "chip" in it the same as a stock ECM, or is that completely done away with since the engine monitoring can now be directly updated via laptop. no chip, all variables are user controlled so you have to be careful about messing with things you dont understand or you sould cause engine damage

3. What are the choices for MAF that work with the FAST system? does it use one?, are there even choices? no maf runs on speed density

4. I already have a wideband o2 that is currently just running a gauge. (AEM) Do I need to have a second wideband installed for the FAST or can I "piggyback" off of the same sensor? no you dont need two as xfi will have its own , but having another one with a gauge to see all the time isnt a bad thing

5. I also already have a 3 bar map (came with razor alky kit) currently. Can this also be used instaed of the FAST unit. yes the 3bar can be used with the fast system

6. Can anyone recommend anyone for an inital tune after I get the system installed? I am in Northern NJ. I am going to stop by and talk to the guys over at Stage 1 in Pompton Lakes as soon as I get a chance to see if they are up for it, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
jack cotton (cottonsperformance.com) both on the tune the purchase and the install if you feel you need xfi , i personally would stay away from stage 1

Thanks in Advance.
x

1. What is needed to do a "factory harness" installation of the unit. I don't want to have to re-harness the engine.
There is a jumper box that uses your factory wiring,you need to hook into 1 wire for your map signal and run an 02 harness thru hte firewall

2. Does the FAST ECM still have a "chip" in it the same as a stock ECM, or is that completely done away with since the engine monitoring can now be directly updated via laptop.

NO chip it all done through the laptop

3. What are the choices for MAF that work with the FAST system? does it use one?, are there even choices?

No maf needed

4. I already have a wideband o2 that is currently just running a gauge. (AEM) Do I need to have a second wideband installed for the FAST or can I "piggyback" off of the same sensor?

The XFI comes with its own sensor and is not the same style as the AEM
so I would sell off your wideband setup

5. I also already have a 3 bar map (came with razor alky kit) currently. Can this also be used instaed of the FAST unit.

Yes you will use this 3 bar

Don't know about stage 1,but absolutely use Hartline Performance for you XFI purchase. Cal Hartline tunes the fastest cars in the fastest classes
and is the best XFI tuner in the business and will supply you with a very close start up program with your purchase,He was and still is a big part in the development of the XFI.I am not very far from you (closer than Mass) and can help you along also

Thanks in Advance.

My .02 cents

No matter what system you buy, you need to purchase it from a company that will support it. I am not familiar with Stage 1, so can't say how good they are. We include FREE tech support with our systems, but we charge $250 to tune a system purchased elsewhere.

Don a search in this forum also and see their is only one vendor who actually answers tech questions,Mostly for people that are not even his own customers.

Thanks

Sounds like Hartline is the place to get the unit. Thanks for all of the direction guys. I did some searching around and couldn't find a sort of FAST XFI 101 anywhere.

Thanks for considering us. Please give me a call when your ready and i will go over some of the systems capabilities and options that may be of interest to you.

Buy it from Cal and get Otto to tune it since he's not that far from you. You can't go wrong. The Cal/Otto combo is second to none. :D

Im not even a GN guy but I bought my XFI from Cal. Never any support problems and always taken care of.
Tg

I'm in the middle of installing a XFI system – here’s a few things I picked up.

Another thing to consider is that, while XFI can control your waste gate solenoid, you should go to a stand-alone boost control system. I went to a AMS-500, this also means to upgrading to an external waste gate which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Get the long adapter harness so the processor will mount under the seat. It’ll make the installation real easy - almost plug and play.

The temp sensor should be relocated to the dog house or intake manifold.