Need help with a noise!!

I am hearing a tapping/metal sound when driving my ttype. Please note that the noise only occur when in drive and the car is moving. The noise is rpm related and it will not generate the noise while on jack stands. Thanks...

Will it do it in gear as well as in neutral?
You can only hear the noise while driving the car in drive. While driving and you put it in neutral the noise goes away, put it back in drive and the noise comes back. It will not make the noise in park,neutral or reverse only in drive or the lower gears when moving.

You can only hear the noise while driving the car in drive. While driving and you put it in neutral the noise goes away, put it back in drive and the noise comes back. It will not make the noise in park,neutral or reverse only in drive or the lower gears when moving.
Classic exhaust leak,. Look for cracked headers and blown gaskets before turbo. Black soot is giveaway.

Classic exhaust leak,. Look for cracked headers and blown gaskets before turbo. Black soot is giveaway.
Thanks..... I have changed out the driver's side header with a Poston drivers side header, replaced the passanger side header eith a stock header, had the both stock headers resurfaced, tried the Felpro 1400 header gasket, used ultra copper rtv sealer eith and without the gaskets, used studs in place of the original fasteners and replaced the crossover pipe with one from TAPerformance!!!! However due to the noise only occuring while the car is in motion and under a load I tend to think that it would be exhaust related....WHEW!!!! Sorry for the long post!

Put the rear end up on jack stands and put it in gear to see if it isn't drive train related . You may be able to pin point it easier that way .

Put the rear end up on jack stands and put it in gear to see if it isn't drive train related . You may be able to pin point it easier that way .
Thanks for the reply..... I have tried that several times and nothing!! Like I stated earlier it will only make the sound while in drive moving and foot braking! It will not do it any other time.

Thanks for the reply..... I have tried that several times and nothing!! Like I stated earlier it will only make the sound while in drive moving and foot braking! It will not do it any other time.
Someone once mentioned a broken front pump vane inside the transmission, if thats the case would the sound be present in all the gears?

How loud is the tapping noise? For example, can it be heard over the radio at a moderate volume? Can it be heard with the windows down? Could it be in the brakes?

How loud is the tapping noise? For example, can it be heard over the radio at a moderate volume? Can it be heard with the windows down? Could it be in the brakes?
Merry Christmas Everone!!!! I swapped torque converters and the noise was still there, Ian's yes the tapping/metallic noise can be heard with the windows down and when driving. . I jacked the car up last nite and foot braked it and the noise was not there however if I foot brake the car on the ground the noise is there which leads me to believe that it's exhaust related. I have swapped headers and tried the Felpro.1400 gaskets with no luck maybe the Remflex gaskets will fix it.

I know it is only heard when driving, but can you somehow post a sound clip. Exhaust leaks vs metal to metal are distnctly different....may gove us a clue somehow. Also, i may have missed it...but what area is it coming from?

I know it is only heard when driving, but can you somehow post a sound clip. Exhaust leaks vs metal to metal are distnctly different....may gove us a clue somehow. Also, i may have missed it...but what area is it coming from?
After thinking about jacking up the car and foot braking it last night and the noise was not there I don
't believe that I have a exhaust leak after all, as a matter of fact if it was an exhaust leak that I was hearing it should have made the noise then! I can clearly hear the noise when I'm driving. When I go up my drive way and open the driver's side door the sound is coming from underneath the car . I think that it may be an axle or differential issue.