Need help pulling motor>>

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
going to tear down my motor tomorrow yet again and just wondering the best way to pull the intake w/o getting coolant all over the place...

drain the radiator... pull the rad hose... and is there anyway to pull the intake off cleanly.

i plan on just pulling the heads and intake tomm. and then trying to pull the block out after that...

and i was wondering what exactly has to be removed in order to get the block free... 2 motor mounts.. and how many bolts hold the trans in place?

this is my first time pulling a turbo buick motor and just want a lil help

thanks in advance!

oh and would pulling my hood off make things alot easier?

Remove the two drain plugs in the block to get out more coolant.

It's actually pretty easy... and kind of fun... to remove the motor. I did mine a year ago. I removed the starter with the wires still connected and tied that assembly to the frame. The AC assembly can be pulled forward and tied to the drivers front side of the car-I didn't lose any freon that way. Of course you have to of course disconnect fuel lines, grounds and the 6 bolts (if I recall correctly) that hold the trans to the block. I used a wire tie and tied my convertor securely into the trans bolt hole so it wouldn't slip out. Put a jack under the trans so it stays level without the motor in there.

I pulled my motor with the stock headers and turbo still attached to the motor and put it back in that way too. It came out easily. I took photos with a digital camera of how everything looked before I removed the parts of assembly. I placed all bolts in baggies, marked with where they came from. That way you'll know what goes where when you reinstall it and have the photos for refernce.

I just took my time and took it out and reinstalled it with no major issues or problems. Hopefully some of this will be of help. Good luck with your project! Paul

I'm down to under an hour for my engine pulls... unfortunately, i have to pull it so much... once that engine comes out, it usually means im not driving it for awhile. : (

The main time consuming (if you want to call it time consuming) part is the transmission bolts at the top... I have a designated transmission bar about 3 feet long with a swivel and shortwall 14mm or 9/16 on the end. Hook that think on an impact gun, the tranny's off in a minute. The other alternative for the top bolts that works well, but not as good is a ratcheting 9/16 combo wrench.

I dont take the hood off. I guess that would depend on how long your chain is.

I dont bother taking out the coolant drain plugs... I always flushed the engine before it goes in anyways.

Phil

Don't forget the flywheel to torque converter bolts, I think there are four. Pull the metal shield off the bottom of the motor, behind the oil pan, and you can access them by turning the motor over with a ratchet.

You don't have to take the hood off. Just disconnect the gas shocks and use something to prop the the hood higher. It almost goes 90*.

Why take everything off while it's in the car. Just disconnect the radiator hoses, fuel lines, trans, electrical connections, DP, Intercooler pipes, AC (if you still have it), P/S pump.

Leave the engine intact

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

yeah that is what i planned on doing... dont know why i thought about pulling everything off first...

and another thing... where would be a good spot to hook up the engine hoist?
use a bolt from the intake or a bolt from the exhaust manifold?

I have used intake bolts with washers for the chains in the past.
Kitty corner them, ie front right and back left.
Disconnect the hook shocks as previously explained it helps.

Just pulled mine saturday ( 2nd time ) with a GN buddy, he showed me a great way to get that pesky middle, driver side, tranny to motor bolt out.

Use a huge extension and go from behind the trans with a creeper and do it from back there.

One other point, watch out where you put the hoist, make sure its not right above the bumper as the car will lift with the motor out and scratch the crap out of it.

Yep... i actually had to modify our hoist just for the buicks... the darn preset arm holes dont allow the arm to go out far enough... hits the bumper like a mofo. And yes, that tranny bar is where its at!

Phil

hmm for the extension for the trans bolt... huge extension like 16" or more like 36"?

dont know how many to borrow for when i go to work on my car... im not able to work on it at my house so it kinda sucks

thanks

whew what a pain

i just purchased a set of ratcheting wrenches that swivel

saved the day
very nice