need help, old car new mechanic

86regallimited

ok i just got this car a year ago and have been workin on it since. i just got my license but i do know an exceptional amount about cars, but this car has me stumped. its a V8 307 rochester 4 barrel 86 regal limited. now the only problems i am really having ar that it will die every once in a wile but i am getting new cables between for battery and altand a new edlebrock car wich btw any suggestions on CFM would be nice. but my major problem is belt squeeling. about a month ago i took off the AC and vaccum pump on the right side of the motor leaving the water pump and alt belt on the left and it has squeeled since stopping every once in a wile when i mess with them and belt dressing barely works. now i have noticed that the alt belt rubs the water pump pully not sure if this is common or what. basicaly i am looking for help from a vet i know there are guys on here that can really help me i know im a rookie. i love the car but i live in a small town and everyone thinks its a POS but i am gonna prove them wrong so any help is appreciated thanks alot

yeah iive replaced the belts like 4 or 5 times and the alternator and battery twice also ive only used the dressing once a last resort, i tried tightening the alt belt wile it was running and it didnt help so im gonna tighten the power steering

Hi this is just a thought but i think your pulleys are out of balance everything is on one side usually a 307 would have alt & pwr steering on drivers side and polution pump & a/c on passenger side sometimes when you take the load of one side i make the water pump pulley twist causing it to sqeek also look and make sure alt and power steering brackets are mounted to the drivers side of the block those to bolts do alot to help put tention on the belts .. hope this helps......

yeah i will check that, i did have to replace the water pump once before it was leaking and i thought that would solve my squeel problem, also if i tighten those bolts will it make the motor capable of running without squeeling without AC and vaccum pump on right side? or does there have to be tension on both sides no matter what?. and yes it helps alot i have had at least two proffesional mechanics stumped from looking at it with no input so much thanks i really appreciate all this help

Try running the car with just the alternator belt, then with just the power steering belt. If squeel with/without one belt then you have narrowed it down that far. If a squeel either way, then you know its at the pulley. Hope this helps!

yeah its definetly comeing from the water pump/power steering pulley but i cant just run alternator the alt runs off the water pump but i have just ran water pump and thats the squeel it almost seems like the water pump slips back over and loosens cuz if i re adjust it it will stop squeeling for a wile but last time i tightened it down the bolt stripped. and thanks again it does help, also any tips on how to tune it up or stuff i can do to make it run better please do share thanks