Need help id'ing my turbo

First WELCOME PILGRIM!!!
The turbo appears to be like a TE-62 I once had. Bison can better answer the question on the chip as well as the turbo. Don't forget to read the stickies at the top of the turbo section.

You need to measure the wheels, or atleast post pictures. The numbers on the housing mean nothing. It appears to be the good compressor cover.

0304131257e_zpsb7824101.jpg

I tried to reply before but it didnt go through. It's a t04s04 cover with a Garrett .63 housing and what looks to be a 63 compressor wheel. Probably a clipped p trim ex wheel

the chip looks to be Joe Lubrant's handwriting. Old tech for sure.

Bob

So when I go to order a chip what do i tell them, its a garrett .63?? Sorry
for the stupid questions lol

On turbos there are a couple different numbers to know.

The compressor and turbine wheel sizes are most important, this determines the horsepower potential. Note that it is easy to over-buy on turbo size.
Ball bearing vs journal bearing, this determines how much torque converter stall speed is required to make the turbo spool.

The ".63" and ".55" on the outsides of the castings relate to the geometry of the castings, its known as A/R and comes into play when determining the operating pressure and flow range of the turbo. But there are small .63's and large .63's, so this is less of a key factor, especially concerning chips.

Note that a built engine shifts all the above around, so the key is to balance the build, components, and planned usage of the car.

With that out of the way, when ordering a chip your turbo is essentially a "journal bearing TE63".

Bob

cliffes86gn said:
So when I go to order a chip what do i tell them, its a garrett .63?? Sorry
for the stupid questions lol

Tell them 6376 and your intended boost. Wheher or not you have head work, cam, intercooler, and what torque converter

Ok i have to explore some more and see what other work is done before ordering a chip...i was told the car has a vigilante convertor..hoping there is some numbers on it to find out size and stall, and it does have a pretty large front mount intercooler....and i think the block is stock...the only draw back to buying an already modded car, dont know what was done already lol

Question I forgot to add....what kind of power will this turbo support?? Car currently has above mentioned turbo with front mount ic, 42lb injectors, chip, rebuilt trans with vigilante 3200 stall convertor...what kind of numbers could I be looking at now?

Do you know anything about the fuel delivery? With the mentioned mods so far, you need a proper fuel pump. What kind of goals are you looking for?

cliffes86gn said:
Question I forgot to add....what kind of power will this turbo support?? Car currently has above mentioned turbo with front mount ic, 42lb injectors, chip, rebuilt trans with vigilante 3200 stall convertor...what kind of numbers could I be looking at now?

With the clipped p trim turbine and a larger ex housing it will support enough power to run low 10's though you rarely see that. High to mid 10's would be typical with with heads, cam, and intercooler at 25psi. You are injector limited to low 11's with the current injector.

I dont think the fuel system was upgraded, not sure yet on that but I plan on replacing whats there with the kit from racetronix along with replacing all the ignition system components and exhaust... and im not looking to set the world on fire lol...an 11.99 will make me happy so thats the goal

cliffes86gn said:
I dont think the fuel system was upgraded, not sure yet on that but I plan on replacing whats there with the kit from racetronix along with replacing all the ignition system components and exhaust... and im not looking to set the world on fire lol...an 11.99 will make me happy so thats the goal

I would sell the turbo and converter and go to a stock turbo or te44 and a re-stalled d5 converter. Spoolup and drivability will be much closer to stock and you have plenty of injector to cover those goals.

I guess time will tell what I end up doing...it spools up fast theres really no lag at all so maybe there is more done than I know about...ive had a few seasoned car guys already tell me its easily a low 12 car so idk...thanks for the help and info so far bison i appreciate it

cliffes86gn said:
I guess time will tell what I end up doing...it spools up fast theres really no lag at all so maybe there is more done than I know about...ive had a few seasoned car guys already tell me its easily a low 12 car so idk...thanks for the help and info so far bison i appreciate it

At 28-30psi it's mid to low 10 sec car with traction. You'd need a more pump/injector to run that hard though. Its hard to go that slow (12's) with one of these. Get a scan tool/logger, get used to the car, make sure everything is clean and tight, and run it and show them it's faster than low 12's. No need to fix what isn't broken.

Yeah I have a logger on order and a scanmaster is in near future....Ive got to get some real tires on it to know what its really capable of...its got stock 215's on it now and i cant get into very much at all unless i wanna smokescreen behind me.....never drove a tr before and when i test drove this one it started spinning at 40 i almost shit lol