Need help identifying my turbo

85supreme

I have spent some time researching what I can about my turbo but my questions have not been answered yet.

I need help identifying my turbo and need to know if it is any good

I was a little confused when i saw a borg warner name plate and Garrett name plate on the turbo.

I heard BW made clones of the Garretts... are they just as good?

Info on the turbo

Compressor side:

Says AiResearch and is stamped M24
It DOES NOT say Garrett

Exhaust side:

Borg Warner Name Plate
P/N: 166 198
MOD: T04B-98
S/N: 108X55322

Garrett Name Plate
Garret P/N: -
CUST. P/N: -
S/N: BO102

I can post pics if needed but the info i listed is really everything thats on the turbo.

Thanks - Mike

Here are the pics, its my daily driver so im not trying to tear the car apart to find out more about this turbo.
pics may be big
2013-01-03_15-32-58_751.jpg

2013-01-03_15-33-29_817.jpg

85supreme said:
Here are the pics, its my daily driver so im not trying to tear the car apart to find out more about this turbo.
pics may be big

All that's visible is the cover. It's an e cover.

Look around the outlet of the turbo. I have seen many scribe 49,44,51,54,60 etc into the housing and its covered by the hose to the inter cooler. That may help sone.

On second look that might be a t04b cover

Is this a quality Turbo or should I be looking to upgrade? Not to concerned about the size but rather if its a cheapy or not.

85supreme said:
Is this a quality Turbo or should I be looking to upgrade? Not to concerned about the size but rather if its a cheapy or not.

We really don't no what it is but as of recent nothing Garrett produces I'd consider cheap. Of it's got the small cover and backplate and has a 60-1 compressor its probably something that will take a while to use up. The small cover will knock the mass flow potential down a little but not worth worrying about till you are running it hard