need help fast with this problem, PLEASE?

1NASTY6

"Staged for Life"
Hey Gang,

Developed a problem with the car at the track the other day...

Car ran beautifully all night till 4th round.... launched in that round, and the car was a DOG off of the line. 60 ft. went from low 1.6's to a 1.89!
I thought that maybe I just didn't build enough boost, and chalked it up to a drivers error. (I lost that round)

This week, I get to the track, stage the car, and damned if the same thing didn't happen again!! A real dog off of the line but this time it also sputtered and popped so I lifted, but when I tried to get back into it, it just sputtered and popped again.

I drove back to the pits and then drove the car out of the pit area and around the grounds for a short distance. The car idles, and runs fine at low speed. It's just when I get into it that it acts up.

I attemped another pass, and this time, even when I tried to do a burnout, the car sputtered and spit. I staged it, and again experienced the doggish feeling, along with popping and a puff of black smoke at about the 60 ft. marker.

I am not sure what to make of these symptoms.... could this be a bad ignition (coil pack/module) ????

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I want to have the car ready to go back to the track Saturday!!

Thanks all!

Tim

P.S. I was late getting to the track this week, and I did not have my turbolink hooked up to get any vitals. The car has been running flawlessly all season, and I've only been using it during qualifying, but this week went without. Sorry, not to be able to supply any vitals during the run or prior.
This just came out of nowhere though. Not other hiccups or burps prior to this.

Maybe MAF went south I had one do the same with no code. Couldnt build boost for nothin. Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies fella's!

I have considered the MAF sensor possibility, but had not thought about the I/C hoses idea. I'll look things over.

I talked to a good friend who has a Caspers Coil pack and module tester, and might possibly be able to get my hands on it this week yet.
Also have been told I could spray the plug wires and coil pack down with water and start car to see if problem worsens, or I can visually see any arching taking place...... suggestions on that idea??

Thanks again!

Tim

Probably the ignition module under the coil pack. I have the same problem on my car. Was running great and then one day, at 15lbs of boost WOT pop pop pop stumble ... ****... what the...

got off it and car ran fine. Later that day car started to do it at 3/4 throttle, pop pop hick up burb....

Swapped module and coil pack from junk yard, and all is fine.

By the way, used a Casper's tester and the ignition module that was giving me trouble tested fine with Casper's tester, so I am not certain how effective the tester is on ignition modules.

I had a very similar problem, my car would sputter a bit when i tried to build boost off the line, and when under close to full throttle or full throttle, car would surge all the way down the track. New ign module, and the problem went away.

Originally posted by litz
Probably the ignition module under the coil pack. I have the same problem on my car. Was running great and then one day, at 15lbs of boost WOT pop pop pop stumble ... ****... what the...

got off it and car ran fine. Later that day car started to do it at 3/4 throttle, pop pop hick up burb....

Swapped module and coil pack from junk yard, and all is fine.

By the way, used a Casper's tester and the ignition module that was giving me trouble tested fine with Casper's tester, so I am not certain how effective the tester is on ignition modules.

My story is identical to Litz's. Your best bet is to just swap them out. The Casper's tester showed good components.

So my question now becomes, what is the point of the Casper's tester? It looks cool and shows voltage going across the coil, but an Ohm meeter will tell you if the coil is good or not. What can be used to determine if the ignition module is good or not? There has to be an easier way to test the module without having to bolt it on the car for a drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

update...

Guys,

I did purchase a new coil pack and module from GM, and I will be putting on tomorrow prior to going to track and will test there.
(if not rained out..... doesn't look good! :( )

I will post results as to what ends up being the fix in the end.

Thanks for all the replies!

Tim

P.S. I'll be posting a new thread in regards to Powermaster rebuild....... check it out if you have experience with rebuilding one, thanks!