need help diagnosing oil leak

86SS86LS

I've got an oil leak that seems to originate somewhere at the front of the engine on the passenger side. It is hard to tell where it is coming from, I'll be replacing my stock turbo soon, so that should allow a better look at the area. What are some common causes for oil leaks?

Do you still have the stock breather that vents into the turbo inlet bell? If not, that oil is probably coming from your breather. I have the same problem (as do probably thousands of other TR owners); I just live with it and periodically clean it up. Much better than having the oil go into the turbo & intercooler IMHO.

Do you have an oil filter adapter? Thats what seemed to be the cause of my problem. It doesnt leak fast but its there, and its annoying as hell.

could be the breather,oil cooler adapter, turbo drain, turbo feed, t-brass block in the side of the motor.

Thanks this gives me few leads, what's the best way to find the source of the leak? I was thinking maybe cleaning the area good with a gasoline soaked rag, and then watch closely for small drops of oil.

you could degrease that area and either watch it at idle if its leaking that bad or put die in the oil and take a look after a few days with a black light

Most of the fresh oil seems to be coming from the oil filter adapter. Is there a seal between it and the block?

Im hopin someone knows, cause i never really took the time to find out. For me what happened was i'd change the oil filter and oil and then the adapter would leak (just those small drops) for about a week, and then poof! it would just stop until i changed the oil again.