Need help deciding between these two tires

Mightymike

So I'm blowing the Falkens off my car at 45 mph so decided to get some new rears before I end up in somebody's front yard or worse. The Wife is giving me BS about spending to much $$ lately on cars so been doing some bargain tire shopping and found deals on these two tire selections, both about $320 pair shipped.
Toyo Proxes R888 255/50/16
Nitto 555r 245/50/16

I know they're better tires out there but on a budget this time. Saying that I would appreciate opinions of all kinds

Toyo proxe TQ drag
255-50-16. Or. 275-45-16.
Stay away from the r888
Unless u like ice skating in the rain

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Toyo proxe TQ drag
255-50-16. Or. 275-45-16.
Stay away from the r888
Unless u like ice skating in the rain

Thanks for the feedback, I should have mentioned that the car is only a weekend warrior and would never purposely drive it in rain. Mainly just looking to get the hp to the pavement w/ decent handling

The nittos are good traction on the street and will keep you alive in the rain if you ever get caught. Drove 2hrs on highway in the rain back from bpg on a set that's a few years old.

I have the 555rs and love them. Don't drive much but, they do hook up nicely.

Thanks for the feedback, I should have mentioned that the car is only a weekend warrior and would never purposely drive it in rain. Mainly just looking to get the hp to the pavement w/ decent handling
You never "plan" on driving in the rain...it just happens. 2 years ago...I got stuck driving in a downpour on my way home from Norwalk Buick Racedays. My drag radials were worn. It was the scariest drive I ever have had. I went to pass a very slow car and as soon as I hit 3 lbs of boost ( didnt mean to)...the tires broke loose and the car fish tailed. It was not fun.
I drove the speed limit or slower for 3 hours...and will have a new trailer to haul with or reg radials on the car next time.

Are you just doing the rears, or all four?

I use Nitto 555r for the rear and regular Nitto for the fronts, at the moment can't remember what series of Nitto I have upfront.

Stepping up to a taller tire will help. It seems 275/60r15's are most popular with our cars. For 16's maybe a 265/55r16

Are you just doing the rears, or all four?

I use Nitto 555r for the rear and regular Nitto for the fronts, at the moment can't remember what series of Nitto I have upfront.

I'm just buying the rears for now, has new 225/55/16 Falkens on front that came with car when I bought few weeks ago

The toyo tq drag radials are awesome, I have 275/45/16 on stock gta wheels. They hook up great and wear pretty well for a sticky tire. Only downside is they are relatively short so if youre making big power and run at the track a lot your rpms in drive at the end of the track will be pretty high. I run these on the street and switch to the taller 275/60/15s for the track for more height and taller softer sidewall