Need help ASAP on thermostat install

SpoolinUpGN

I can't believe i'm posting help for 160* thermostat install. I never even realized i hadn't put it in till i found it in my tool box. But thats besides the fact, i'm STRUGGLING with the last step in removing the stock thermostat. The spout that comes from the intake, which i believe houses the thermostat or sits just in front of the thermostat is being a *****. :mad:

I've sprayed plenty of penetrating lubricant on the oring to between the spout and the intake. I'm shaking it moving it and grabbing it as hard as i can to get it to come out, even with pliers i'm just collapsing the metal. :mad:

Its just a pressure fitting right? Please any fast responses about removing this so i can get to the thermostat from the countless people who have already done this, i'll be sitting here waiting.

My housing got pretty messed up when I replaced my thermostat. Someone suggested I get the stainless housing because they said the original would get messed up. I think it came from Kirbans.

I'm still looking for exaclty how you managed to get it out, but thanks for the reply. At least there's something out there if i do damage this one :rolleyes:

Twist? turn? shake? pliers? :confused:

Pull then Pull then Pull then Fall. Then chiropractor.

That's how I got mine out. :wink:

Put something like a hammer handle inside the opening and use that for leverage. It worked for me. :cool:

I had the Kirban's billet aluminum replacement to switch out when I did mine, so needless to say, my stock one ended up looking like a piece of balled up tinfoil when I was done molesting it with a pair of large vice grips. You did undo the one bolt that holds that C-shaped thingamabob against the intake right?

If you are in a hurry, NAPA sells a cast iron replacement water neck (ask for 89 TTA). That info's courtesy of a Central Florida Buick Type Club member.

When you do install the new one, put just a dab of blue loctite on the bolt and only torque it to 13 ft pounds. If you make it too tight, the oring will be compromised and it will leak.

I changed mine for the 1st time this past weekend, with no problems. Bryan W. from KC gave me the following advice. Re-install the radiator hose after removing the horseshoe & bolt. This will give you some leverage to pull the housing loose. He also recommended drilling a very small hole on the outer flat edge of the thermostat. The hole aids in "burping" the system. I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies guys, while unfortunately it did turn out to be mission failed, i guess i can say i know EXACTLY how to get it out when i go back for round 2.

And from the responses, looks like before starting round 2 i'll pick up a new neck and beat the living piss outta the stock piece. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, this board rocks, even for the lame questions that i ask.

I used a large socket and extension... Pick a deep socket that just fits inside the ID of the housing. Rock back and forth to loosen and dislodge all the corrosion that builds up. Easy removal, no damage. I had a Stainless Steel replacement, but could have just re-used the old one if I had too.

(Not trying to rub it in or anything, but wanted to share this non-destructive trick! for the next guy that runs into this!)

I used a large socket and extension... Pick a deep socket that just fits inside the ID of the housing. Rock back and forth to loosen and dislodge all the corrosion that builds up. Easy removal, no damage. I had a Stainless Steel replacement, but could have just re-used the old one if I had too.

(Not trying to rub it in or anything, but wanted to share this non-destructive trick! for the next guy that runs into this!)

That worked great, thanx for the tip....

Delco Replacement

The Delco replacement neck is cast iron too and DIRT cheap. Take a GIANT pair of channel locks and crush/collapse the old one. This will break the seal allowing you to pull it out. Be careful not to damage the intake. A bit of lube on the o-ring while installing the new neck is a good idea - as it cleaning up the inside of the thermostat bore.

I got the Napa one for $9.50..They don't have one for the turbo regals ( which there are about 40,000 made in 86-87, but they have one for the TTA ( which they made around 1500 ) go figure :rolleyes: ....Its the same part and fit great..The Napa info came from another thread....