Need advice.how big,how much boost

prodaddy

I have a 87 t.fresh built gn1 crank,alum champion heads,intake,studded lower and upper,120lb inj,78mm turbo,meth kit.holley hp computer..just got it running again ,tuner is having issues...this is a car I plan to put several different tunes in for different fuels and power,but mainly will be a 93 octane pump gas with meth inj street car..how much boost should I expect to give it on pump gas,and could I go with my 88 billet turbo and still get it to make boost quickly on the street.just trying to get some advice.

I have a 87 t.fresh built gn1 crank,alum champion heads,intake,studded lower and upper,120lb inj,78mm turbo,meth kit.holley hp computer..just got it running again ,tuner is having issues...this is a car I plan to put several different tunes in for different fuels and power,but mainly will be a 93 octane pump gas with meth inj street car..how much boost should I expect to give it on pump gas,and could I go with my 88 billet turbo and still get it to make boost quickly on the street.just trying to get some advice.

what type of issues is the tuner having ?

I would stop spending money on expensive parts and start spending money on basic EFI/Tuning courses, or on books that educate you on the subject you are inquiring about...

Cause whoever said a 78mm turbo on a street car is a good idea..probably has a LOT different view of streetable than most...

not surprised that you're having issues with the holley...sounds to be similar to a few other things I've heard... but then again what do I know..I'm just some 17yr old stoner kid who likes Bob Marley ;)

I would stop spending money on expensive parts and start spending money on basic EFI/Tuning courses, or on books that educate you on the subject you are inquiring about...

Cause whoever said a 78mm turbo on a street car is a good idea..probably has a LOT different view of streetable than most...

not surprised that you're having issues with the holley...sounds to be similar to a few other things I've heard... but then again what do I know..I'm just some 17yr old stoner kid who likes Bob Marley ;)

Hehehe .. you beat me to the mismatched parts point that I was going to make .. but wanted to lead into that after he mentioned the tuner issues :)

he'll probably pull most of the wiz bang parts off to run some serious numbers :)

Hehehe .. you beat me to the mismatched parts point that I was going to make .. but wanted to lead into that after he mentioned the tuner issues :)

he'll probably pull most of the wiz bang parts off to run some serious numbers :)

haha right?

Also- I heard from a VERY reputable tuner yesterday that the Holley setup isn't that user-friendly and they didn't really care for it compared to the XFI setup. I think it was more the user-interface that they were commenting on. This is for Buicks that they made this remark, not in general.

Did he say 88mm and street lol. What are u using to tune it ? If you want a good turbo go with at 6262 ,6765 . Around there with a 3200-3500 converter.

As stated above, your turbo is too big for a street strip combo. You can run E85 all day on a low boost tune and a high boost tune without having to switch fuels. The XFI can do it if that is what you want and it is easily tuned for a Buick. Cal Hartline can dial your combo in over the internet with the ECM hooked up so you will save a lot of time going that route.

I can run a 70mm turbo on the street with 21 psi all day on pump gas and alky and it is fine. By comparison with E85 you can run more boost on more timing and not hurt anything. You do reach a point where more hp on the street is just tire smoke. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice guys..I guess I should have clarified my (street use)I own a custom autobody shop about 3 miles from my house,I want to drive it back and fourth to work this summer and still have a very strong toy..I also have a low mile fresh stock 87,along with several other big twin turbo and supercharged toys..but this is my first big buick v6 build..I bought the car a couple years ago in texas.it was on e85 and had been sitting a while.took I to my friends shop (midwest lsx)they did the fresh rebuild,new injectors and the holley h.p efi system..the car had a 70mm and small shot of nitris when I bought it and was a 9.30 street car then..the turbo needed rebuilt and I wanted the tunability with the holley and fancy digital hp screen,and really didn't want the headache of finding e-85..but willing to go back that route if needed.i do have a couple billet 67mm sitting from a twin ls project ,I guess I could try the smaller turbo..the tuner was having issues getting the car to spool up and getting the timing curve correct at idle to wot.

I'm sure he was having problems getting it to spool. The 67 would work a lot better. I would go with that turbo in a 4 bolt .81 A/R housing. It will spool up nicely and give you plenty of top end. Your choice of converter will help with spool too. Stall speed matters on these cars based on what you are doing with it.

I'm sure he was having problems getting it to spool. The 67 would work a lot better. I would go with that turbo in a 4 bolt .81 A/R housing. It will spool up nicely and give you plenty of top end. Your choice of converter will help with spool too. Stall speed matters on these cars based on what you are doing with it.
I have a 3200 convertor,pro trans brake reverse manual 400..it doesn't come up on the two-step and brake quickly.the tuner was trying to bring the meth in a little quicker to light the turbo..before there 50 shot of nitris was used I guess to spool it..

Then he's not using the alky correctly.

You need to run it on gas only up to 8 psi and no sooner in terms of boost.

If you're running an Alkycontrol system this is the preset point to where the alky sprays lightly. Have the tuner set AF ratios to 13 to 1 up to 10 psi and then ramp the AF from 13 to 11 to 1 gradually. 4250 and above you should be 11 to 1 for sure. Let the alky spray and trim fuel in the fuel map to get to 11 to 1.

Typically you have to take out a lot of fuel out of the map to get to those ratios when using methanol. It is inverse of what a fuel map running a single fuel adding more fuel as rpms increase.

The alky cools the charge and allows you to run more timing than you would on pump gas. Buicks only tolerate so much power on 91 octane.

Or you can just run E85 with your combo and not worry about the alky kit. Just saying.

I have a 3200 convertor,pro trans brake reverse manual 400..it doesn't come up on the two-step and brake quickly.the tuner was trying to bring the meth in a little quicker to light the turbo..before there 50 shot of nitris was used I guess to spool it..
It's never going to spool up with a 3200 initial stall without the spray.for a street buick the 78mm and 88mm turbos just won't spool fast enough to get into the race.put your 67 on it and turn the boost up with plenty of methanol then look at the coupling point of the converter after that it's tire chassis and driver on the street.fyi I spray nitrous right away on the track,on the street i never spray right away,it's always once the car is rolling.

Listen to what Reggie and Mr.Spool said.

They are absolutely right on a accounts. Your turbo is too big, you're usage of methanol needs to be modified, and I would forget the nitrous.or at least get the base tune done before adding that.

1 thing at a time. Patience yound padawan..patience..