Need a direction on where to start. Fresh OC Stage 2

fatride

Finally took my fresh On Center S2 to get tuned. Wasn't a good day. The crappy design ATR headers leak like a B*tch!! This is one issue, also I think my PTC converter is way to tight. Now we only got 1 run in on the dyno. At 6psi it made 405HP on a Mustang dyno. We tried turning it up, but just kept loosing power due to leaks. Now my issues are building very slow boost,and rpm's very very slow. Idle to approx. 3500rpm's is responsive, but from 3500 to 7000K it takes aprox. 10seconds.. Is this normal with such low boost? I don't know where to start? Ign. issue? Weak coil pack? I don't know but so frustrated! I'm almost ready to throw in the towel....
Thanks for any direction to start.

What system are U using?? FAST, BS3, etc.....
Looking at the data logs should help find the issue...
Where to start??? How about fixing the header leaks, then worry with the tune, etc.

I don't have a Stage motor but have always been happy with ATR headers. I never had a problem with exhaust leaks! Get that straightened out first. What size turbo are you running? Torque converter stall?
Conrad

Sorry, XFI.. I know I need to fix the headers, I think I have a few logs on my computer.. Anyone willing to look at them for me?

I don't have a Stage motor but have always been happy with ATR headers. I never had a problem with exhaust leaks! Get that straightened out first. What size turbo are you running? Torque converter stall?
Conrad

ATR Stage 2 headers. The pass. side is a pain!! It's a 262ci Stage headed OC motor, with 76hpq turbo. 9" PTC converter. I bought it off the board, suppose to be 3400 stall.. I'll need to get the # off the converter and talk with Dusty about that...

I told ya today Nick! Get the headers fixed / replaced, and wait to see if the converter / spool up / tune up works well when were making pulls / passes at 25psi plus. The combo isnt designed to be raced at 6psi..... so I wouldnt put too much weight behind the results / issues you have seen so far. The whole combo will be a MUCH different animal over 20psi.....

I told ya today Nick! Get the headers fixed / replaced, and wait to see if the converter / spool up / tune up works well when were making pulls / passes at 25psi plus. The combo isnt designed to be raced at 6psi..... so I wouldnt put too much weight behind the results / issues you have seen so far. The whole combo will be a MUCH different animal over 20psi.....

I hear ya, but why doesn't it even rev. in park? Even if I have header leaks, it still should rev. No?

I hear ya, but why doesn't it even rev. in park? Even if I have header leaks, it still should rev. No?

That ain't the headers.

My ATR s2's cracked where the little support bar attaches to the crossover stub (for lack of a better term.)

Also, realizing what a beetch they would be to tighten in the car, Neal 750HPV6 safety-wired them for me on the engine stand. If you pull the motor, give that some thought.

Good luck.

That ain't the headers.

My ATR s2's cracked where the little support bar attaches to the crossover stub (for lack of a better term.)

Also, realizing what a beetch they would be to tighten in the car, Neal 750HPV6 safety-wired them for me on the engine stand. If you pull the motor, give that some thought.

Good luck.

Yep, I need to pull the motor now to work with that pass. header:mad: I'm really thinking of pulling that A/C stuff out now! And I think I'm going to fab up my own headers...

Fix the headers and then get the tune-up right. The converter will be way to tight at 6psi because your not making any hp. Once you get the issues fixed and turn the boost up everything with the converter will change.

Yep, I need to pull the motor now to work with that pass. header:mad: I'm really thinking of pulling that A/C stuff out now! And I think I'm going to fab up my own headers...

Frustrating, I know.

I saw a thread some time back where somebody modified the ATR's to make some more room for the header bolts: added an inch or so to the primaries to bring the first bends further from the flange.

I think if you get them tightened up well, and safety wire them, you'll be happy. Mine haven't loosened up in over 6 years.

Take a deep breath...it'll run like crazy and you'll be happy.

Nick, I also agree with Mac, yes you have header leak but I think your problem is else where. What is the spec on your cam. I know you bought it off the board used. I hope he they gave you the right cam card with it. How about your ignition?. I think the RPM range you were in, the car should have made more power at higher boost even though you had header leaks. The car made less power over 6 psi WTF?

Don't worry man, we will figure it out. Maybe this time we will make sure everything is right before you button it up. We knew that the header will leak and we went forward with it. I wasn't so sure about the Cam either!

Prasad:wink: