NAPA POS alt

Martin U

I'm all done buying from NAPA%^&&**&^%^ I just installed the best alt they had last week. I was in the process of trying to get a powerlogger run for Eric. I might have had 2 wot runs and 5mi on it. While washing it today I noticed a large bump on my hood, opened the hood and the liner was peppered with plastic shrapnel. The moron at napa just said so we will get you a new alt-MAYBE! I'll have to talk to the boss tomorrow WTF. I can see the trying to get out of trying to fix the hood.
I should have kept my mouth shut and just showed up tomorrow with the car and asked them what are they going to do about it. Just venting.
Marty

Well, I'll never learn... Napa is going to replace the alt. and sent me out to get 2 estemates on the body work for the hood! I must still be dreaming.
Mart

Did you put a full charge on the battery before installing the alternator? If not it's called alternator death. Was it made in USA? Or china?

it's not NAPA's fault- they get their alternators from the same 2 or 3 rebuilders that all the other places get them from.

what were the pieces of plastic from? did the fan come apart?

why doesn't anyone just get a rebuild kit and fix their own alternators any more? it's not that hard to do and it costs way less than even a cheap reman. just buy the parts from a local electric motor/alternator rebuilder.. if installing brushes is over your head, then take the alternator to that same rebuilder and let them fix it and upgrade it for you..

I had one built

it's not NAPA's fault- they get their alternators from the same 2 or 3 rebuilders that all the other places get them from.

what were the pieces of plastic from? did the fan come apart?

why doesn't anyone just get a rebuild kit and fix their own alternators any more? it's not that hard to do and it costs way less than even a cheap reman. just buy the parts from a local electric motor/alternator rebuilder.. if installing brushes is over your head, then take the alternator to that same rebuilder and let them fix it and upgrade it for you..

The smaller body--140 amp with an external adj. voltage regulator.

The fan blew apart, left hole and shrapnel in the liner. They told me to go out and get 2 repair estimates.
I was going to do a repair and replace of internal parts, I was in a hurry to get it running so I could get help from Eric on tuning the 6.0WB chip.
I didn't have to give up my old core, so I'll be doing a rebuild up to the 140 amp this winter.
Mart

new alt fan hot air

Just a heads up. Got the new alt from NAPA and turned in the body work estimates. Just in passing I mentioned that the 87 alt had steel fans on them. He went in back to see if he had one in stock. I took it home removed the plastic one with an impact and the steel fan, spacer, and pulley fit like a glove.
No more worrying about blowing the fan out again.
Marty

i've never heard of one of the plastic fans coming apart like that- even on some engines that rev a lot higher and faster than a turbo 231..

Oh and buy the way I know it isn't NAPAs fault even though this was a NEW alt not a rebuild. I was POed at the night shift guy who was rolling his eyes at me saying what do you want me to do about it,and the anticipation of the run-around I was putting together in my head:mad:
This guy gave me grief before trying to order a case of VR1, said they couldn't do that and I needed a different kind. I explained to him I built the engine bolt by bolt including a bunch of machining on it all by my lonesome.
Anyway I did have the chance when I was talking to the manger to pass that info on...he knew exactly who I was referring to. I was able to tell the manager how happy I was with HIS service and to keep it up and he will have a long time customer.
Mart