Mystery Trans ???

belsie

I recently pulled this trans out of a good running 87 Regal Limited V-6 carb car..............wondered who may know exactly what it is......... note TV cable with no modulator....may throw it in a GN as temp till a better option is available.........Thoughts please................
Mystery trans (3).jpg
Mystery trans.jpg Mystery trans 5 WP_20161205_09_43_13_Pro.jpg Mystery trans (1).jpg Mystery trans (3).jpg Mystery trans.jpg Mystery trans 5 WP_20161205_09_43_13_Pro.jpg Mystery trans (1).jpg Mystery trans (3).jpg

Yup, looks like a 200C. You can put the servo assembly in a 200-4R and make it shift harder.

Do you mean put the servo in the 200C to make it better?
No. Put the intermediate servo from the 200c into the 200-R4. The 200c servo is larger than the BRF servo. Some people like it, some don't. The 1-2 shift may be a little abusive. It depends on the mods done to the trans.

Problem is, only the very early 200c had the big single piston servo. Unless it's not the original trans, the 87 regal trans won't have a good servo in it anyway

It is an '85 MY transmission. I don't know what that means for the servo.

RemoveBeforeFlight

No. Put the intermediate servo from the 200c into the 200-R4. The 200c servo is larger than the BRF servo. Some people like it, some don't. The 1-2 shift may be a little abusive. It depends on the mods done to the trans.
The 2-1 downshift is kinda rough too lol. But I considered it an upgrade on my 86 442.

I will be rebuilding my 200R4 and wondered if needed are any of the 200C parts equal in case I find more than hoped for? I can have both on a bench for the trans guy but feel you guys have the most qualified info.....................

They share a few parts, mainly the rear section and a couple pressure plates etc. doubt it's worth your time to even take it apart unless you happen to need a planet out of the back of it but if your 200-4r is a BRF it shouldn't need a planet in most cases. The pump and the direct drum are different (which is very unfortunate).

Gene, I know you have been kicking around which way to go with your trans issue. Maybe these two pics will be useful to you. If you explain what your trans is doing maybe someone can use this exploded view to tell you what part was in your pan. The other is a dimension chart of various GM transmissions.

trans 200-4R.jpg
Transmission Dimensions Chart.jpg

Last edited: