My radio upgrade results. Not very happy.

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by RED LS1, Jun 30, 2017.

1. BuickMike

BuickMike
    Expand Collapse
    Money pit

I found a few sources for factory g body wiring diagrams and they are all the same as what I posted. This goes for Regals, Cutlass Supreme, Monte Carlo, and Grand Prix. I have a spare radio at home with the factory harness on it and the legend for what wire goes where stamped into the radio. I can double check it when I get home from vacation next week.

2. gusszgs

gusszgs
    Expand Collapse

Great Mike thanks for the help

3. Benched

Benched
    Expand Collapse

4. 1986 Buick GX1

1986 Buick GX1
    Expand Collapse
    GX1 #001 [The One and Only]

Another way to check polarity is to hook a 1.5v battery (AAAA- D, doesn't matter) to a factory speaker. When the battery is connected so the speaker cone pushes out, the terminal connected to the + on the battery is the + terminal on the speaker. Mark the terminal and match it up to the factory wiring.

Another thing to note is the factory stereo starts cutting the bass off around 3/4 volume to limit distortion.

IIRC the kicker speakers require more power than say the infinity reference series.

My first upgrade were some 4x10 Pyle Driver speakers and a 20 watt rms x 2 Crutchfield (PPI) amp with a 2 channel line level converter.
    I was able to adjust the line level converter to keep the fader in the middle and hear the rear speakers as they pumped out some decent bass.
    I only ran a 10ga wire through a 30 amp fuse off the battery and a remote turn on wire for the amp mounted upside down under the package tray between the speakers.
    I got connectors for the factory speaker wires that ran to the line level converter so everything was in the rear. Pretty easy setup.