My Newly Chromed Downpipe

KEVINS

I work on a contract basis at a plating company and today I received my RJC downpipe and it went directly into the chrome vat. Next Monday it will get a clear coat that can withstand 1800 degrees so it doesn't turn blue..:D
IMG_5053.JPG

I Ceramic Jet Coated mine...along with headers,cross-over ,intake an valve covers an last Turbo Shield

5-18-12 (3).JPG
6-4-12 (5).JPG

Waiting to see what happens when i make it glow red...heh

Enjoy!

Very nice job. I'd like to hear about the results of the chrome on the DP. Even (the color) Black ceramic coating turns gray after a while. Black holds up the best as far as ceramic coating last I researched. Silver discolors and leaves spots.

I did my dp, turbo exhaust housing and many brackets in black.
2011ttapic.jpg

Joe

KEVINS said:
I work on a contract basis at a plating company and today I received my RJC downpipe and it went directly into the chrome vat. Next Monday it will get a clear coat that can withstand 1800 degrees so it doesn't turn blue..:D

It looks fantastic now!! I also am interested to see how it looks after clear coat, installation, and heat cycles. Please post pics when it's all done!!!

I Ceramic Jet Coated mine...along with headers,cross-over ,intake an valve covers an last Turbo Shield

View attachment 163282View attachment 163283

Waiting to see what happens when i make it glow red...heh

Enjoy!

We also do ceramic coating but given the chance to chrome it I took it.
The clear coat we apply does a really good job but it won't be perfect. We've done test to 1800* I think for 24 hours (maybe 1500*) and the chrome does turn brown a bit in the hottest parts of the pipes but it's still chrome which is a lot better than the rusty brown they turn when not plated.
I would even be happy if it turned blue which I think is still a pretty kewl color. When chrome turns color it's because of the oxygen in the air so if a coating can withstand the heat and no oxygen gets to the chrome then it won't discolor.

What would it normally cost to chrome?

I have no clue what it would cost. This company doesn't do side jobs they only work with companies.

ks

Dude, that is so badass.

How much for the pretty bits? I would so do that, or the black ceramic coating.

(seriously how much)

Dude, that is so badass.

How much for the pretty bits? I would so do that, or the black ceramic coating.

(seriously how much)
I have no clue how much it would cost to chrome it since I got it done for free but it really looks nice and should last a long time. After several dozen full throttle blasts, the pipe hasn't discolored yet and still looks really good.

ks

1.jpg

I have no clue how much it would cost to chrome it since I got it done for free but it really looks nice and should last a long time. After several dozen full throttle blasts, the pipe hasn't discolored yet and still looks really good.

ks

View attachment 164506
May I ask what is the purpose of the spring on your wastegate actuator?

May I ask what is the purpose of the spring on your wastegate actuator?
I am in the process of tuning my new turbo (Precision 5831) for 30psi of boost but there is enough pressure in the exhaust housing to open the flapper valve no matter how tight I make the rod. The spring should help keep it close until the boost controller can open it. I'm still working out the boost control issues and I hope to remove it once I get things sorted out.

ks

I am in the process of tuning my new turbo (Precision 5831) for 30psi of boost but there is enough pressure in the exhaust housing to open the flapper valve no matter how tight I make the rod. The spring should help keep it close until the boost controller can open it. I'm still working out the boost control issues and I hope to remove it once I get things sorted out.

ks
Oh okay, thanks. I was just curious. Trying to pick up on all of the tricks that I can.

Oh okay, thanks. I was just curious. Trying to pick up on all of the tricks that I can.
No probleemo.. IMO, the spring is just a bandaid and I want to remove it but if I can't, then it'll have to stay on and I'll live with the way it looks. ;\

ks

I'm glad I went through the extra trouble to have it coated so it doesn't discolor, it's working really good! It's still shiny as ever..:)

KS

Kevin,
Let us know what that clear coat is that you put over your chrome finish on the DP. It looks good so far, even with a few heat cycles on it. I agree with you - even if it turns blue, it still looks damned cool!