: ( my house got broken into......

I installed security camera's around home. Just out of reach but low enough they get a perfect shot of anyone who comes near any doors or windows. They are hooked to a DVR hidden in a closet so they can't come in and steal the DVR. It records a month of video and then eats over it's tail with a 1TB hard drive. Camera's are the way to go. They don't lie and they don't miss anything. I have them hooked into all the flat panels in the house so if I hear anything outside with a click of the remote, I have all the camera's on the big screen. I also have an app for my phone that I can see the camera's. I've caught several people in the neighborhood who passed by my camera's in or out of the area that they locked up using my camera's recording. Anytime something happens I have the police look over the video and they always know who the people are because it's typically the same ghetto rats committing crimes. My neighbor just had someone hit his car while it was parked and sure enough the guy passed by one of my camera's and that led to an arrest. Kinda sucks you have to have an alarm, camera's, machine guns strapped to the roof, etc, etc, but to have the feeling of security you have to do what you have to do.

Sorry this happened....Dont feel bad when my place got broke into the thieves got $6000 worth of my stuff (firearms included) i had no rental insurance and later the same day some guy started a fight with me at my local gas station...I proceeded to (stupidly) Beat the snot out of this Coked up guy that threatened to kick my a$$... I left the scene he called the police 20 minutes later and told them i beat him for no reason and stole $50 out of his cupholder in his truck (while i had one hand around his neck and the other knocking his meat out of his taco) in the dark in a truck with a black interior and a non functioning interior light...Never mentioned money missing while telling his story to those around him while waiting for the cops.....So instead of taking his lumps for a fight he started he lies to the cops and i get charged with assault with intent to commit unarmed robbery and unarmed strongarm robbery...Nevermind that i own my own buisness had about $1200 in my pocket at the time....So the day i got robbed i get charged with robbery....Never been in trouble my whole life before that happened...$5000 in lawer fees $550 for a lie detector and $400 in restitution for a broken cellphone i never touched or saw...I end up with assault and battery Misdemeanor and probation...... Glad ur kid was ok and you didnt lose any belongings....consider it a test of your security and your patience...

Yet another prime case of (in)justice. Our country is soooo far out of balance it makes me sick. Freaks and criminals rule the world while the poor honest folks who try and follow the maze called "law" always lose.

Well I'm just glad you and the family is OK Aj.;) There's really no way to secure a home completely without staying there and being armed all the time. When I shared a house with an ex friend we lived in little Mexico and the first thing I did when I got home after work was to strap on a pistol. On the weekends we could sit on the front porch and watch the gangs fire up and down the street.:eek: We were the "gringo" and everyone though we were nuts so very seldom did we have issues. We did have 1 attempt to steal my motorcycle while I was on vacation though. The guy jumped the fence 3 times and got chased out but the 4th time Alvin put 2 rounds in his shoulder.;) 22's don't stop people that well but he never came back.:D

Sounds like you were more prepared for this than most. No one hurt , nothing missing, call it a win...call it an opportunity to find the weaknesses in your home protection and improve them.

Luckily no one was hurt and nothing stolen. Like Tim says, now is the time to find the weaknesses and improve...

When I first armed my house and had it wired for the alarm I also got a few suggestions: (basically anything to make your place less inviting to a potential thief)

1. Buy a large PA style loudspeaker and mount it (hidden ideally) on the roof- that way then the alarm goes off it will blast away and alert the entire neighborhood. Additionally, it's really hard to get to to turn to disconnect.
2. Buy a flashing strobe (red or blue) that you can mount onto the house--- as soon as the alarm goes off you would have this large flashing light telling everyone (neighbors and police) which house is having an issue.
3. Be ever vigilant. These days you cannot live anywhere that you don't lock your doors. I make it a habit. Even my wife now does it. Always lock the doors behind you. Make sure the windows where someone could possibly get in are secure. Lock your garage (disable opener and see about physically locking it)
4. don't advertise (When I bring out the GN, it's a quick ordeal- I don't linger in the driveway)- If I need to leave town I don't advertise by making a production of loading bags- Make it quick and ideally avoid prying eyes; Sometimes, I'll leave in the dead of night so as to avoid a big show.
5. Be erratic- don't keep a "schedule" people (the bad ones) can rely on- come home for lunch, leave later, come home early, take a day off, etc.- you get the idea.
6. Make noise- I leave a radio on during the day- tuned to NPR- lots of talking (makes the thief think twice if people are home- also keeps the dogs quiet.)
7. Display- I keep a car or two in the driveway to make it look like people are always home- (thief might think twice)

Just a few ideas. Hope they catch the thieves...

There's a Woody Allen line where he says something like this: "people call me paranoid, I prefer to think of it as perceptive" LOL

I have a 17 year old daughter who is home after school or on school days off when wife and I are at work. My worst nightmare would be my daughter harmed in our house. Glad yours is okay. Mine knows to run into our bedroom lock the door, grab the magnum, call 911 and shoot whoever forces the door open. I told her do not believe anybody on the other side of the door she does not know. Cops will have to wait for one of us to arrive before entering the locked room.

Mikey

I believe you got it right by the Grace of the Goood Lord nothing bad happened and you were in the good hands! The Good Lords Hands :)

Sorry this happened....Dont feel bad when my place got broke into the thieves got $6000 worth of my stuff (firearms included) i had no rental insurance and later the same day some guy started a fight with me at my local gas station...I proceeded to (stupidly) Beat the snot out of this Coked up guy that threatened to kick my a$$... I left the scene he called the police 20 minutes later and told them i beat him for no reason and stole $50 out of his cupholder in his truck (while i had one hand around his neck and the other knocking his meat out of his taco) in the dark in a truck with a black interior and a non functioning interior light...Never mentioned money missing while telling his story to those around him while waiting for the cops.....So instead of taking his lumps for a fight he started he lies to the cops and i get charged with assault with intent to commit unarmed robbery and unarmed strongarm robbery...Nevermind that i own my own buisness had about $1200 in my pocket at the time....So the day i got robbed i get charged with robbery....Never been in trouble my whole life before that happened...$5000 in lawer fees $550 for a lie detector and $400 in restitution for a broken cellphone i never touched or saw...I end up with assault and battery Misdemeanor and probation...... Glad ur kid was ok and you didnt lose any belongings....consider it a test of your security and your patience...
REALLY??? That is so FOCKED UP!!! Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I used to see the punk who robbed me around the neighborhood and somehow resisted smashing him. He ended up getting busted for his meth lab. I could easily have beaten him up, but that meth stuff changes everything