My Honda Civic

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
So I'm driving to work this morning on the Bronx River Parkway in Westchester County, NY. I'm cruising along in my beat to shit, rusted out, faded metallic blue paint, covered in mud and salt, taping compound on the seats, broken drivers side door catch, door held closed with a bungee cord, missing muffler, broken radio, broken ac, tacky chrome hubcaps from auto zone, 1998 4 door Honda Civic.

When comes alongside me another Honda Civic exactly like mine! I mean EXACTLY!! :eek: Well, except for the bungee cord holding the door shut. What-da-ya know, there are 2 guys in the front seat staring my Honda down.

The driver toots the horn, and they both give me the thumbs up!o_O

Right then, I thought to pull right over and just kill myself! :arghh:OMG! What has this world come to! Are you kidding me? You give me the thumbs up?? I mean, my God! I want to I drive this car in disguise so no one recognizes me. Is this something I should be proud of?:wtf:

No, your probably still ok, ya can't drive a twin turbo everywhere ya know?

I had that dilemma also. What I did was sell the 4 cylinder S-10 and bought a rusty GN clone as my dd. You can't tell it's not a GN, it's an excellent 30 footer, so I por-15'd the floors and made the interior nice and have been using it as my daily while having a test mule to tune and learn on. And if I really screw up, I haven't lost too much. If I blow it up I'll part it out, if I wreck it, I'll have another drivetrain:cool:

No, your probably still ok, ya can't drive a twin turbo everywhere ya know?

I had that dilemma also. What I did was sell the 4 cylinder S-10 and bought a rusty GN clone as my dd. You can't tell it's not a GN, it's an excellent 30 footer, so I por-15'd the floors and made the interior nice and have been using it as my daily while having a test mule to tune and learn on. And if I really screw up, I haven't lost too much. If I blow it up I'll part it out, if I wreck it, I'll have another drivetrain:cool:

I definitely would enjoy driving a beater Regal. I saw a plain old bench seat Regal the other day in a supermarket parking lot. It had very little rust and totally missing bumper fillers. Other than that, it looked pretty damned good. I actually waited around for a few minutes hoping I would run into the owner. I was prepared to make him an offer if I saw him.

But, I don't think I could drive a TR beater. I wouldn't have the heart to do the butcher duct-tape/wire hanger fixes I do on my standard hoopties. Before long, it would end up being babied and modified. Then I'll have another hole in my pocket.

No worry, my daily driver is a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback... gets me to and from work on less than a gallon of gas (40 mile round trip)... So I can afford my GN!

No worry, my daily driver is a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback... gets me to and from work on less than a gallon of gas (40 mile round trip)... So I can afford my GN!
This is what I'm saying! These cars are tools of transport. Nothing else. Meant to be used up and thrown away.

I can't see why I should get a thumbs up anymore than I would on the new wheelbarrows I bought and then had the guys use to haul concrete across the job site the other day.

These were nice wheelbarrows. Not like my Honda. The paint was good and they had no rust, No squeaking wheels, no bungee cords. Funny thing though. Not a single thumbs up.:(

But, I don't think I could drive a TR beater. I wouldn't have the heart to do the butcher duct-tape/wire hanger fixes I do on my standard hoopties. Before long, it would end up being babied and modified. Then I'll have another hole in my pocket.

That IS an issue. After cleaning it up, I was playing one day and I broke the ear off the torque strap. Now it has H&R motor mounts. And ice cold air. And a kirbans x-brace in the back. And just ordered Bilstiens for it!

That IS an issue. After cleaning it up, I was playing one day and I broke the ear off the torque strap. Now it has H&R motor mounts. And ice cold air. And a kirbans x-brace in the back. And just ordered Bilstiens for it!
Yes, and you cant tell me that if you hurt the motor, you wont say to yourself............"Maybe I'll through a cam in it, or maybe some ported irons on it, or a nice 44, or how about that new exhaust"...............

Next thing you know............your slow car runs 9's!

Yes, and you cant tell me that if you hurt the motor, you wont say to yourself............"Maybe I'll through a cam in it, or maybe some ported irons on it, or a nice 44, or how about that new exhaust"...............

Next thing you know............your slow car runs 9's!
Wellllll, it only has 10 psi of oil pressure when hot @ idle. I know it has a TA49, and a 3200 stall converter that's nearly new. Since that old timing cover has to come off anyway, hmm, I wonder what cam it has? Oh yeah, and if I don't start it for 3 days, sounds like I may have a lifter that's bleeding down...

I dd an 04 cavalier with 220000 miles on it. $1500 in parts I put in a 50k mile motor, clutch, synchro's brakes, clutch slave&master, tires, shocks, and a good cleaning. Car runs like new! Bought the car for $1600 and lasted 5 years with minor maintenance until I blew the motor and did the above work to it. Hoping it lasts another 5 years. Sure in heck beats a car payment. I commute 400miles a week.

I dd an 04 cavalier with 220000 miles on it. $1500 in parts I put in a 50k mile motor, clutch, synchro's brakes, clutch slave&master, tires, shocks, and a good cleaning. Car runs like new! Bought the car for $1600 and lasted 5 years with minor maintenance until I blew the motor and did the above work to it. Hoping it lasts another 5 years. Sure in heck beats a car payment. I commute 400miles a week.
I buy my daily drivers based on the "100 dollars per month rule".

If I pay 1000 dollars for it.........then it should last 10 months.
1800.......................then it should last 1 1/2 years.
2400..........................2 years

You get the point.

Sometimes I get lucky and I get a lot more out of it. But even if it goes gonzo before it's time is up, It all evens out.
I paid 800 dollars for a Cadillac Cimeron that lasted me 22 months. This was the deal of a lifetime! I even high-jacked the dome light and some trim pieces for the Buick before I junked it.

I have never sold a car in my life!!!!!

...drive this car in disguise so no one recognizes me....

Here you go... Just put these on.

glasses.jpg

I buy my daily drivers based on the "100 dollars per month rule".

If I pay 1000 dollars for it.........then it should last 10 months.
1800.......................then it should last 1 1/2 years.
2400..........................2 years

You get the point.

Sometimes I get lucky and I get a lot more out of it. But even if it goes gonzo before it's time is up, It all evens out.
I paid 800 dollars for a Cadillac Cimeron that lasted me 22 months. This was the deal of a lifetime! I even high-jacked the dome light and some trim pieces for the Buick before I junked it.

I have never sold a car in my life!!!!!

I high school I got a car for free, cleaned it up, got it running decent. Sold it for 300.

In college I bought a car for 100.00, drove it for 6 months , sold it for 300.00

However, I have just as many stories that went the exact opposite way......

Bob

My daily is a Ford lightning I just drive around to gas stations all week (that's the 100 dollar a week rule :smuggrin:)