My exhaust elbow

Turbo6Smackdown

Was wondering, if I drop my down pipe, do i just gotta take those 4 bolts off to yank my exhaust elbow? or is there other stuff that i dont see, that would complicate the issue...

I always take the car for a drive and get the turbo hot, then pull back to the house and crack those bolts loose, if you do it cold, your gonna snap one off in the turbo most likely if its never been apart before.

Just remove the 2 long bolts that hold the downpipe to the elbow, then pull the 4 bolts out that hold the elbow to the turbo.
Crack em loose when the engine is hot, then let it cool off and work on it later.

Thats what i do.

BW

outstanding idea.. but my valve covers are off. no drivin for me right now lol. would heatin em up with a torch do the trick in your opinion?

welp, just broke a bolt off in my turbo takin the exhaust elbow off... any ideas on gettin her out short of takin it all off and drillin it?

I didnt get a response that you posted the other day about the valve covers being off,...

Uhhh well, start soaking it in pb blaster for a few hours
Buy a very good ez out that wont break.
Drill the center of the bolt out with a small drill bit for the appropriate ez out, dont drill too far.

then get a small butane torch and heat that one spot till its cherry red, use the ez out and see if it will come out.

My advice about doing it hot would have been the best way to do it :eek:

BW

Bryan, will a simple butane torch do the job? It took an acetylene torch to get mine hot enough to back out.