My 6262 ate itself.

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Yup, my PTE 6262 with 100 miles on it ate itself for lunch last night. I took the car out and ran it up to 22# boost and 5700 rpms testing a problem that has plagued me for a year. At the end of the run I hear a 'werrrrr rrrrrr rrrrr clang clang' noise and back out of it immediately. Slow to almost a stop since there wasn't anyone out there in the middle of nowhere. I start moving again and cant get into boost....car runs fine but wont go into boost....limp the car 24 miles back home and stuff her in the garage for the night.

Next morning I go out and open the garage door and the drivers side front tire is flat. I laugh. Par for the course. I've driven the car about 1000 miles in three years and I have had to rebuild everything. Fix the flat and start thinking about what may have been the cause. I suspect turbo but dont want to go there. Pronto (thanks) says look at your turbo and I pull the air intake tubing off and sure enough...the shaft has major play and the impeller has kissed the housing.

Three things....manufacturer defect, lack of oil, or debri has gotten in the turbo. Not sure which. Will pull tonight and ship to PTE tomorrow.

I did not have a filtration system on the turbo but sure as heck will now! What can I do to minimize possible damage to the motor other than replace the engine oil/filter and blow the turbo oil feed lines out?

For that brief few moments I sure got a taste of a PTE 6262 at 22#'s of boost. Man, let me tell you...hold on to your friggin hats, folks. :)

Oh man that really sucks. I have the same turbo on my car.:eek: Ive only run it about 100 miles so far too. I also don't have a turbo saver either.

Hopefully PTE can tell you what went wrong with it. I hope they can cover it under warranty for you.

Good Luck.

Have you been able to determine if anything got inhaled by the engine? When my friends broke everything stayed pretty much there. There were no "chunks", but like you describe, scrapes. Hope it all works out for you.

That restrictor hole is so small, wouldn't take much to clog it. Did you take that apart yet to see if it starved for oil?

Restrictor fitting was clogged. Looks like next time I should run a filtering system. :mad:

You can see where the impeller wheel has kissed the housing. There is some shaft play. Not too much damage, but enough. Sent the turbo off to PTE today. Costly error on my part...

6262damage.jpg

Wow Mark, there's a selling point for your Turbo Protector!

Would think so! After plunking down $1400 for a turbo I wanted something better than the turbo saver so came up with this. Was already selling the filters and after thinking about it did a little experiment by drilling and tapping the aluminum end of the filter right in the center of the nut. The hole ends up right in the center of the element. All oil going into the filter is fully filtered as there is no bypass IN THE FILTER.

I am still using the bypass in the filter adapter and ran the car for a while with just an oil gauge hooked up to the filter while I still had the TA49 on the car. Numerous cold startups and driving around and oil pressure was perfect to the gauge. Then just plumbed a line from the filter up to the new turbo and plugged the stock original oil feed line hole.

Was thinking about going with the turbo saver myself but didn't want all that extra plumbing involved. This works on the same principle WITHOUT all the extra lines and potential leaks and mounting headaches. Got about 500 miles on my turbo with many 100+mph bursts.:eek:

Sean, hope Precision makes good on your turbo, not sure what their warranty entails and hope to never find out.

The GN is one of the few BB turbo platforms where the vendor doesn't request an inline filter to be used. A lot of Imports run the inline filter due to this very reason.

I got a Turbo Protector and ran a -3 to the turbo, I'd slap on an inline if I ever ran a BB to be even safer.

Sean, hope Precision makes good on your turbo, not sure what their warranty entails and hope to never find out.

They won't warranty it unless you show proof that u bought their (PTE) kit to save ur turbo:rolleyes:. Otto was informed by Hartline today that if I didn't show proof of ordering it my warranty would be void if the turbo fails. Another thing to buy...:rolleyes:

Would think so! After plunking down $1400 for a turbo I wanted something better than the turbo saver so came up with this. Was already selling the filters and after thinking about it did a little experiment by drilling and tapping the aluminum end of the filter right in the center of the nut. The hole ends up right in the center of the element. All oil going into the filter is fully filtered as there is no bypass IN THE FILTER.

I am still using the bypass in the filter adapter and ran the car for a while with just an oil gauge hooked up to the filter while I still had the TA49 on the car. Numerous cold startups and driving around and oil pressure was perfect to the gauge. Then just plumbed a line from the filter up to the new turbo and plugged the stock original oil feed line hole.

Was thinking about going with the turbo saver myself but didn't want all that extra plumbing involved. This works on the same principle WITHOUT all the extra lines and potential leaks and mounting headaches. Got about 500 miles on my turbo with many 100+mph bursts.:eek:

You got any pics of where you hooked it up to the oil filter adapter and the protector on the car? is there a plug you removed or did you have to tap one ive never really looked at my filter adapter except when i changed my oil..

They won't warranty it unless you show proof that u bought their (PTE) kit to save ur turbo:rolleyes:. Otto was informed by Hartline today that if I didn't show proof of ordering it my warranty would be void if the turbo fails. Another thing to buy...:rolleyes:

There isn't going to be any warranty work anyway since it was not manufacturers defect. I wont lie and they would probably be able to figure it out anyway.

Having said that, if I'm understanding you correctly, if I dont run a PTE filter kit then PTE wont warranty any manufacturers defects, regardless if I had another system on there. Is that correct? I've never heard this. I WISH I would have been told such information, not only because it would have saved my turbo, but also because it would have saved my turbo. :)

I'll talk with the company I bought from and get it straightened out...

According to Holly Hartline they are. She's the one who spoke with PTE. I wouldn't see why they couldn't. The center section is contained in a cartridge, is my understanding. Easy in, easy out.

Yes and they are out of them:eek:

We made our own too....

You got any pics of where you hooked it up to the oil filter adapter and the protector on the car? is there a plug you removed or did you have to tap one ive never really looked at my filter adapter except when i changed my oil..

Did you click on this link??? TURBO PROTECTOR KIT Shows everything. Will take some pics to show it mounted on the car.

Turbo sent off to PTE yesterday. I'll report back results when I get them. Thanks for the help, guys.