MPG

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
As we all know we dont worship these cars about the fuel mileage . But in only getting 17 - 18 mpg and I swear thats on zero boost and setting the cruise at bout 70 and its highway miles. The car is tuned great and runs perfect with new fuel filter and walbro pump. its certanly not the end of the world but if its something Im missing I appreciate the thoughts. Thanks Keith

It's all the tuning.. I once had a modern muscle car 50lb street chip with low timing (easily seen with high EGT's) and with the cruise, I got just about 30mpg on a 3 HR highway trip... But going probably just under 70 avg.. Car had home ported heads, stock turbo and 212 flat cam.

20 hwy, 12 city. I get about 17 hwy with a/c on.
20 hwy/15 city. Back in the day I would get 24 hwy/17 city. I think it's the crappy gas we have now.
Hey Thanks Guys , Im a new owner and my my how those cars love this cold weather...........
Hey Thanks Guys , Im a new owner and my my how those cars love this cold weather...........
19 hwy/15 city. Back in the day I got 24 hwy/17 city. I think it's the crappy gas we have now.

In 1988 with a good intake, exhaust and ATR Pit Bull street chip (everything else stock) I was at 24-25 hwy. I thought good mileage was due to advanced timing, but I don't know what all was in their chips. I loved that chip, cold start up, fantastic drivability and converter lock up / unlock speeds.

When we are driving our cars normally without getting into boost its basically like any other engine. On pump gas we run low timing in order to run higher boost. If you run a naturally aspirated engine with low timing you will get poor fuel economy/performance. Several years ago I had to drive my mid 10 sec. GN for 6 weeks while my DD T-Type was being painted. With the pump gas chip it would barely see 18 mpg but with the race fuel chip (27 deg. timing) I was getting 27 mpg and much better part throttle drivability. I was careful to never go past half throttle running pump gas with the race chip. So in the end do you want MPG or performance?

I get 18-22 mpg depending on traffic. If I sit in traffic on the way there or back it drops off. But when it is smooth and I can keep the mph up it stays high. I run 42 lb injectors and a tt 5.6 chip. I like the ignition suggestion and will look into increasing my advance to see if it helps. I do buy 93 octane but it contains up to 10% ethanol according to the pump.

Hey JimmyMac 87 GN , good post , being a new owner and new to the site I have a thousand thoughts about what I wanna do with my car. Im learning more and more everyday about these cars and how you can have a 10 sec car with cold AC . WE all know its takes money to go fast and it depends on the owner just where he/she may want there car. I sat in the first GN in 1990 and was amazzed at the car and 25 years later i got my first one last september . I love my GN

Ha. Well when I was married the ex got 16 in town. I on the other hand would get 12. That was a great car. To bad she got in the divorce. First she wrecked it. Then she got it stolen. Whoever stole it took it out on I-70 and left it for dead with a rod through the block, about 60 miles from her house. Bought it back from insurance and sold it to some ass that put a 8 cyl in the pour thing. I had to start the build all over again.

I averaged 22 on the way to Bowling Green back in 2013 (2400 mile round trip) That was doing about 75. Now days mpg isnt an issue as the car sees less than 3,000 miles per year.

My favorite argument with the prius and insight owners is "how many gallons of fuel do you burn a week"?
Oh, well, that's because you don't drive it.
Ok, shut your pie hole!

In all my years of owning, wrenching and tuning with the LC2 I've found that the stock calibration will consistently get better fuel economy than anything modified. Not that you can't pick up mpg with a modified engine because you certainly can. Higher CR, less overlap, thinner rings, rounder bores, tighter ring gaps, tighter piston to wall, higher silicon content in Pistons, higher engine temps (190-205*), tires with less rolling resistance, etc. All these will increase efficiency a lot but will leave it prone to damage from detonation. Once you start to add overlap, use loose fitting pistons, 160 thermostat, tires with more rolling resistance, etc you will lose economy. Going from one chip to another isn't going to do much at all for economy if the cruising block learn is 128. Additionally most chips have less cruise timing than the stock chip. If you run any leaded fuel or any fuel additives that make the oxygen sensor lazy forget it. You will have lousy economy. With -8 overlap @ .050" and 8.3:1 CR and GN1 heads and PTC 9.5" converter I achieved 20-21mpg driven too and from Cecil county MD and I live in central CT. This included 3 low 10/high 9 passes. I'd bet it would have hit 22-23mpg without the idling and passes at the drag strip. 65mph cruise speed on the way. 15.3-15.5:1 cruise a/f. I didn't step on it at all except for the quarter passes. I don't really car about economy. If I did I wouldn't drive an 800hp car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove my 87 Rosey to BG in 2014 and 2015 it averaged about 22 mpg both years driving about 70 + mph when I could , I drove about 1000 miles on each trip . This is with a 10 in 2800 lu converter from Dusty ,