Motor won't rev over 5200-5300rpm... WTF???

Try calling DLS and see if he can set you up with something that works? I know Dan has had customers using TA heads with success.

Its always best to buy these products off of a vendor of TA or Champion that builds these motors. Dan at DLS has these products in most cases on his shelf, and they are checked for pushrod fitment, head stud fitment, proper spring pressure etc on a mock up motor before they leave his shop. I have been down this road years ago when buying straight from the source only to find out they couldn't slide down my head studs. And when that was opened up and ready to go, the push rod holes also needed to be sleeved for proper clearance. Spent $250 more for something I should have had no problems with. The kicker is the price is virtually the same when I dealt with DLS and the end result was a happy camper. So to hear of your misfortune. I do feel your pain.

Well... in Mike's defense, he has been great to deal with and wants nothing more than to make things right. I would NEVER say "Don't do business with him". He's great to talk to and as a business owner, he is doing everything I could ask for and more. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty to keep in touch with me and has been very "hands-on" as a business owner.
I have no beef with him or his company and will ABSOLUTELY continue to do business with him. His customer service is outstanding.
Unfortunately as a business owner, when you trust your employees to do things a certain way, there is no way of confirming it without standing over their shoulder at all times. This was simply a goof-up and one oddball spring got mixed in with the batch. It wasn't intentional and Mike is very embarrassed about it. In my frustration and anger, I probably worded my post a little too harsh, and Mike didn't deserve the bad publicity. I have spoken to Mike several times today and directed him to this thread. Obviously he wasn't happy with my last post or the reason for it... but we both agreed, tempers tend to get the best of us as we get older. I should have probably stepped away from the computer for an hour, and addressed the issue after a cool-down period. :D

I went to the local machine shop and the two springs I took them checked out within a few lbs of the build sheet. They were a little light, but nothing serious...(5lbs) Obviously the Moroso tester is not close to accurate, and should be used as a consistency gauge instead of measuring spring rates.

The replacement inners all do exactly what they are supposed to do, with pressures at 160/370... except for the one oddball that found it's way into the bag. That one tested the same as the ones on the heads.
The only measurement I can't personally confirm is the installed heights... but given the detailed build sheets I've received from Mike, I can only assumed they are dead-on and accurate.

I can only assume at this point, my cam profile is sort of an oddball, with much more aggressive ramps than a normal off the shelf hyd roller. Any other roller, with less lift or more duration... and this thread probably wouldn't exist.
Unfortunately, the lobe profile I have requires an aggressive valvespring. There was no way for Mike or myself to know this when the heads were built... so in hindsight, no blame can be put on anyone for the original set of springs that were put on the heads. They were pretty much exactly what should have worked with an off the shelf cam.

To those that say "do business elsewhere"... I suggest just the opposite. In all the years of dealing with vendors and machine shops, I've never gotten better customer service or more concern from a business owner. Quite frankly I'm a bit humbled by it...

Mike is a stand up guy and deserves our continued support. :cool:

In follow-up... Mike is sending me another inner spring and crediting me for the defective adjuster.
When I get all back together, I will box up the un-needed parts and ship them to Mike for inspection.

I only have to say Kudos to you for making that post. As a vendor who has been on both sides of those type of post good and bad I can honestly say that was the most refreshing thing I have seen in a very long time. If I can ever help you pick up the phone and remind me about this thread, you will be happy
Mike

This kind of BS happens when you order aftermarket stuff and humans are packing the products. I received a set with a wrong spring back in the late 90's from a vendor already mentioned here. It was about 95psi at 1.70 inch. Unfortunately i didnt figure this out till the car had a couple of intake backfires. I even called and questioned the springs. But i was assured they werent the problem. Now i check everything on assembly. Even the best fvck up

Well... I've got 11 springs on the motor, just waiting for #12 to arrive...

I threw the Moroso tester on them just for schitzengiggles, and they are a huge improvement.

The other springs, I could literally push them open with the palm of my hand.

The current combination, not even possible by hand.

And... just something else I thought was worth a mention.

Mike at TA Performance PERSONALLY hand picked that replacement spring for me... and PERSONALLY delivered it to the Post Office.
He ALSO paid for overnight, Saturday delivery out of his own pocket. :eek:

What does that tell you about the man and his company ? :wink:

How many other Buick vendors/Mfg's would do such a thing ?

Something else that I hadn't considered in my previous rants...

The head studs came from ARP and were packaged at ARP. So the fvcked up head stud was no fault of TA.

The TA rocker shaft assy's are MFG'd at T&D Machine and are an exclusive design. There are no others like them. Given that they are made at T&D and packaged at T&D for Mike, the defective adjuster was also no fault of TA Performance. Ironically, I got a 2nd defective adjuster in the 2nd set of rockers I bought from Mike. He was just speechless... as he's never seen ONE bad adjuster, let alone TWO with the same customer. I couldn't wait to call him yesterday when I found it... because I was just as dumbfounded.

This is why it's important for me to ship these items back to Mike... so he can bring it to the attention of his suppliers. Given that both these suppliers also provide parts to top-level Nascar teams, it could be a huge wake-up call to them. Defects like these should have never been shipped to Mike in the first place.

Well... I've got 11 springs on the motor, just waiting for #12 to arrive...

I threw the Moroso tester on them just for schitzengiggles, and they are a huge improvement.

The other springs, I could literally push them open with the palm of my hand.

The current combination, not even possible by hand.

And... just something else I thought was worth a mention.

Mike at TA Performance PERSONALLY hand picked that replacement spring for me... and PERSONALLY delivered it to the Post Office.
He ALSO paid for overnight, Saturday delivery out of his own pocket. :eek:

What does that tell you about the man and his company ? :wink:

How many other Buick vendors/Mfg's would do such a thing ?

Something else that I hadn't considered in my previous rants...

The head studs came from ARP and were packaged at ARP. So the fvcked up head stud was no fault of TA.

The TA rocker shaft assy's are MFG'd at T&D Machine and are an exclusive design. There are no others like them. Given that they are made at T&D and packaged at T&D for Mike, the defective adjuster was also no fault of TA Performance. Ironically, I got a 2nd defective adjuster in the 2nd set of rockers I bought from Mike. He was just speechless... as he's never seen ONE bad adjuster, let alone TWO with the same customer. I couldn't wait to call him yesterday when I found it... because I was just as dumbfounded.

This is why it's important for me to ship these items back to Mike... so he can bring it to the attention of his suppliers. Given that both these suppliers also provide parts to top-level Nascar teams, it could be a huge wake-up call to them. Defects like these should have never been shipped to Mike in the first place.

i hope springs are my problem. mine has the same symptoms. sputtering and laying over at the top of each gear. i have to sometimes let off the gas pedal to get it to shift or it will sputter 4400 to 5000 back and forth

i hope springs are my problem. mine has the same symptoms. sputtering and laying over at the top of each gear. i have to sometimes let off the gas pedal to get it to shift or it will sputter 4400 to 5000 back and forth

Yep... exact same symptoms I had... right at the top of each gear it would sputter and lay-over until the shift dropped the RPM's enough for the valves to close.

If I held it in gear, it just got worse.

I have high expectations with the new spring combo on my motor.

I also took the 1.65 rockers off and replaced them with 1.55's instead. I think with the cam profile I have, combined with a 1.65 rocker... I just had way too much valve speed and lost control of the valves. Once valve control is lost, all hell breaks loose.

The stiffer springs, combined with the slower rocker ratio... SHOULD have me spinning clean well over 6000 now.

The car shifts @ 52-5300 by itself, so the only place I need to worry about valve float again is the top-end charge at the finish line.

Hopefully this will all work out for you! If it does, maybe you should put a post in the feedback section about how things went.

It seems like there has been a rash of questions and issues with springs lately.:confused:

All I can say is, Mike deserves a serious thumbs-up for all his efforts.

The lone inner spring showed up a little bit ago, along with a $13 credit for the defective rocker adjuster. The spring travelled across the country and was in my hands in less than 24hrs.

It's also my understanding... Mike pulled a guy off a project to specifically address my valvespring issue, and even had him mock-up another cylinder head to simulate and check things against my build sheet. This involved alot of time and effort... and to top it all off, he even sent me an updated build sheet with all the correct info. I know this HAD to be a huge effort on Mike's part... and quite honestly, I don't know how to thank him.

And on top of it all, he spent $21.20 out of his own pocket to ship me a $2 valve spring.

I just thought you guys should know who you are dealing with when you call TA Performance. I feel like I was treated as an individual and a friend, not just a customer. If I could take back the hasty, short-tempered comments in my previous posts, I would. Mike didn't deserve any of it.

Another thing I feel deserves a thumbs up... The build sheets.

In 25 years of building engines and dealing with machine shops... I have NEVER... I mean NEVER gotten a build sheet with a cylinder head... not even a piece of paper with detailed info like this. This alone, speaks volumes about the company.

DSC077302.jpg

DSC077312.jpg

Everything is back together and running.

I adjusted the 1.55 rockers to 1/2 turn of preload and it sounds great.

Just 'gotta wait for Mother Nature to stop dumping rain here so I can go for a ride. :D

Didn't you find that you were running comp 885 lifters? If so that will be way too much preload. With the 885's I have been running .001-.002 preload. My cam is advertised as .545 lift & I do run 1.65 rockers. My car shifts at 6500 & has seen higher. I run a comp dual spring installed by Dan at DLS.

If you're not running 885's please ignore this post.

Didn't you find that you were running comp 885 lifters? If so that will be way too much preload. With the 885's I have been running .001-.002 preload. My cam is advertised as .545 lift & I do run 1.65 rockers. My car shifts at 6500 & has seen higher. I run a comp dual spring installed by Dan at DLS.

If you're not running 885's please ignore this post.

I don't think I have the 885's on my car... I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure they are 853's... I can always back them off if needed.

If anyone knows how to positively ID the 853's & 885's, please chime in here. :D

I'm also not sure when the 885's hit the market, but this shortblock was put together around '06 I believe.

Here's pics of the lifters in my motor:

DSC074462-1.jpg

DSC074432-1.jpg

DSC074442-1.jpg

It seems like there has been a rash of questions and issues with springs lately.:confused:

You know... I have a theory about this...

With all the good parts and technology hitting the streets these days... guys are pushing aftermarket parts to the extreme. Better turbos, alky systems, nitrous, etc... all mean more boost. Also, cam profiles are getting innovative and more agressive.

Something I often think about...
When running 30psi boost, this means there is 30psi of pressure PUSHING on the backside of the intake valve... trying to force it open, much like the air pressure you put in the cylinder to keep the valves closed during a spring change.
I think that 30psi of boost pressure, somewhat subtracts from the advertised/installed seat pressures we see on valvesprings.
This means... a spring with 160lbs on the seat... will have 160lbs of seat pressure at an idle or zero boost... but when we are on the throttle and have 30psi in the intake... you may only see 130lbs worth of pressure on the seat. This won't affect the open pressures, but it may cause the valves to bounce when they close.

I'd love to see some testing done with a pressurized intake port... just to see the effects on a springs actual seat pressure. With enough pressure, you can eventually overcome the spring entirely... and blow the valve right off the seat.

Just something to think about. :cool:

That does sound feasable. Maybe someone with more experience with that high of boost levels and roller cams can comment on it.

That does sound feasable. Maybe someone with more experience with that high of boost levels and roller cams can comment on it.

It's probably applicable theory even in lower boost engines... if they only run a 100lb spring and 20psi boost...

I asked Mike at TA if he was hiring at all... as I'd love to get back into a race shop again and try some of my goofy ideas...
Working in the Nascar shop really spoiled me... and unemployment won't last forever... but unfortunately, convincing my wife to move to Scottsdale AZ probably won't happen.

I could see a guy like Mike at TA or Mike at FT doing some testing like this...

Maybe this thread will spark some new ideas and products. :D

I'm finising up my motor as we speak. It's going in the car tonight. It will be running tomorrow. I have the exact same set up minus the aluiminum heads. Everything has been switched over from my old motor. I will let you know how it runs real soon.

Attachments

• motor pic.jpg
    motor pic.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 449
Yea those lifters look exatcly the same as mine are they the 853 's ?? I think the 885's have a gold ring in the center hopefully someone can chime in if im wrong . I couldnt figure out what I had either :confused: