Modded 87 T Type

DJay

GN Novice.
Well as it happens ... i FINALLY saw a really nice T Type today!

Two tone gray, A Pillar gauges, fatty tires, atr duals ... the works!

Passed me up with a big thumbs up and led the way through traffic. Could hear his turbo from 2 cars behind him! :D Caught a light with me behind him and, of course, we took off like bats outta hell. Kinda felt like, even though i was behind him, i was gainin on him ... couldnt be sure though.

On to the more important part of the story ... we FINALLY caught a light side by side and starting chit chattin. REALLY nice guy. Turns out he did alot of work to his car! Sounded nice too... T-60 Turbo w. 3000 stall converter (no wonder i heard it!), head work, 373 rear, big tach with the shift light; the works! I kinda felt intimidated sittin beside him in my black beauty being close to stock. He asked what i was runnin and didn't seem to react when i mentioned the alky kit. I clarified that i was runnin 20# of boost which made his jaw drop, heh heh. Apparently he couldn't run above 17 on the pump. Anyway, the light was 'bout to turn so I closed with "take good care of her, k?.."

He didn't spool so I didn't know if he was gonna gimme a run, but it seemed inevitable. Not wanting to instigate (specially with that big turbo he was runnin...) i avoided the normal footbrake torque. Light turned, and he stomped on it! SHOOT! I nailed it to the floor (glad i primed the alky just in case while we were chattin ... no transitional knock) and we were off!

I was simply amazed to say the least. I was walking AWAY from him! Looked over at him with that big sh!t eatin "alky grin" and saw him watching me in disbelief! By the time we shut down (almost to the top of third gear) my rear bumper was a good 6 feet ahead of his front bumper! WOW! He shut down after me, passed with a thumbs up and i made my turn.

Moral of this story for me ... alky / 20# of boost = GOOD!

I kinda felt bad fer the guy. One thing's fer sure though ... he's prolly on google lookin up "grand national alcohol injection" tonite! :D :D :D I lub my GN!

I heard that Matt, I never needed alky to go fast. Not knockin alky, but never felt the need for it. His car sounds like it needs someone who cares/knows tuning.

yah matt russ ... i fully expected to lose. prolly SHOULDA lost, given his mods. however, when i heard he had replaced his rear with a .373 when i've seen so many GNs run 10's and 9's with a .342 (thx russ for the correction) i kinda figured he wasn't a board member here. :)

His lack of knowledge of alky confirmed it as well ... was kinda neat to win though ;)

Didn't mean to take anything from ya, nice kill even though it's one of our own. The rear gear is 3.42.