mini spool rear end?

wbzautocustomiz

Want my GN to go 11's one day
Any good, bad info on running a mini spool for the rear end? I hear that if you go with a mini spool you lose street drivability? any comments or suggestions thanks

Annoying on the street. Chirps around corners cause the axels are fighting each other.....the amount of money you think you are saving by going the spool as oppose to running a more expensive posi unit will quickly fade away when you start breaking other parts due to it.

I was tired of posi units constantly unlocking when doing burnouts at the track and I've been using a spool on the street for years and never had a problem with it. You sometimes feel a it little but only on very sharp turns (like when parking the car) but when taking more large radiused curves like a highway ramp for example, it's unnoticeable.

Claude.;)

Thanks for info and I got the nswers I was thinking it would be not great but useable. my rear spider gear shredded so I am going with mini spool to keep car drivable and when I get te $$$$ I will get one of the nice limited slip aftermarket style. I have to say for under $100 to do mini spool cant refuse this cheap fix, Thanks fellas

dont do a spool on stock axles
on tight turns one axle will have to break away and the weaker the axles the more spring they will have when the tire breaks away and that will cause a chunking feel
stronger axles and better bushings in the control arms minimizes the chunking when making tight turns in parking lots as the tires will break away cleanly
street tires will also feel better than sticky tires

and dont do a mini spool , a mini is a coupling that installs inside an open carrier and connects both axles and is not legal for track use, they recommend the mini for dirt use only

a full spool replaces the carrier

a full spool wont work with c-clips. axles will need the clip slot ends cut off and will require positive axle retention like c-clip eliminators or weld on ford style ends with press on outer axle bearings

not going to race just dont want car apart all summer putting mini in to keep car mobile thanks for info

not going to race just dont want car apart all summer putting mini in to keep car mobile thanks for info
You do not have an open carrier, that's what he is saying. You can't install it in the GN rear. You will have to change the entire center section of your rearend with a single track open carrier and then add the mini spool. That will require an install kit to get the gears back in to the correct depth, so there's another $100. They are junk. You dont want to use your axles either. You will need aftermarket axles or that will be your next weak point. Basically your gonna end up changing everything in the housing to put a mini spool in.
Toofastforyou is running a full size spool...big difference

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

you could find a used posi for around 200 and toss that in and may be good for a while
or cheaper find a used open 3series from someone who upgraded to a posi , probably only cost price to ship

You do not have an open carrier, that's what he is saying. You can't install it in the GN rear. You will have to change the entire center section of your rearend with a single track open carrier and then add the mini spool. That will require an install kit to get the gears back in to the correct depth, so there's another $100. They are junk. You dont want to use your axles either. You will need aftermarket axles or that will be your next weak point. Basically your gonna end up changing everything in the housing to put a mini spool in.
Toofastforyou is running a full size spool...big difference

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

not every GN had a posi rear end... most of them were probably an open diff, which makes it no different than the millions upon millions of 8.5 corporate rear ends that were put into service starting in the early 70's...

if it was just a spider gear that blew, why not just replace that and get it back on the road? you should be able to find some place to sell you a set of spider gears for less than a brand new posi unit...

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/
Give these guys a shout, nice bunch and good pricing.
I am sure when the spider fodded, it took more with it. My dually ate a crossshaft, then EVERYTHING else in the housing, at best everything needs a visual if not NDT for cracks.