Mid 12s, need to launch harder

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Took my car to 75-80 this weekend and made 3 passes. Good experience, met some good folks and enjoyed the afternoon.

Best run was a 12.42 @ 112, with a very poor 1.9 60'. Hope to make it back in a few weeks and bring down my 60' time, maybe get into the low 12s.

60' - 1.93
1/8 ET - 8.03
1/8 MPH - 88.9
1/4 ET - 12.42
1/4 MPH - 112.0

Build details:
TA-55 (22 psi), PTE SLIC, LT1 MAF, 3" THDP, AlkyControl, 208-208 cam, 60 lb injectors, Walbro 340, 2.5" Hooker exhaust, ET Streets (255-50-15, 19 psi)

Track info:
5 psi launch, 0* KR, 800 mV, 85* ambient temp

With a good driver, it might be an 11 second car. Too bad I can't drive it yet. Ah well, there's always next week.

if you still have a stock torque convertor, your 60' wont get much better,maybe 1.7,but a 1.7 from a 1.9 is about.3 off of your et. add a little more boost or turn the fuel down just a touch and you will be 11.90's

Converter is a 3000 stall.

If the weather isn't too hot this weekend, I may do another pass or two and see what happens.

I may also try locking the converter after 2nd gear (is that the way to do it?).

None yet. Shocks and springs are new-ish, but standard stuff. Maybe time for airbags?

honestly the standard stuff isnt going to hurt at all...i think a set of boxed lca's and a hellwig sway bar would help you achieve your goals pretty easily
have you tried upping the boost to about 25-26 lbs? you have alky why not use it lol... what is your timing set at?

I may try increasing the boost slowly, but I'd like to err on the side of caution. The car runs beautifully now, no knock, SM numbers look clean. Since it's a 99% street car I like leaving a little margin for error (i.e. lower boost).

I think another session at the track would probably be useful. Need to focus on the launch, bring down the 60', and lock the converter. After that, I'll start playing with the boost and timing.

I appreciate all the feedback. This hobby is a lot more fun than it should be.

I run 25lbs daily on my T for about 2 years now and no problems here... but everyone has their comfort zone
As far as locking the converter you are picking up around 24 on the back half so i dont really think that is the issue, but since you are focusing more on NB O2's this may be where you could pick up some times... invest in a wideband and powerlogger and get some good data and get that thing fine tuned and it gives you alot more ability to monitor the car