Mega fat @ idle FAST XFI

srz

I'm seeing 10.5-11.4 afr @ idle and my fp is set to 43 psi w/ the vac line off. I can keep the car running but it's so rich I even have fumes coming from the engine w/in a matter of seconds chasing me out the garage. What is the best way to go about leaning this out? My base VE table bubble sits smack dab in the middle of the highlighted area. This is a base tune and I'm a newbie to the FAST so my learning curve is step to say the least.

Should I just trim that area by 10% to see what it'll do? Or is there a better way to go about this? My laptop is hooked up to the car so I'm using the computer in the house that is why you see know bubble/snapshot.

93 Z28/ FAST B2B Speed density
/383 LT1/F1/FMIC
/7.65,3.85 pullies
/8.8:1cr
/CC306 230/242-.544/.576 @.050/112LSA
/RC 72lb injectors high Z's
/Fuel lab afpr

Just to give you an idea of what I have.
Thanks guys.

Attachments

• New Microsoft Word Document.doc
    79 KB · Views: 158
Wow those numbers are high. I would first take the whole table and reduce it by 10 numbers to start. Select the whole table and use the pagedn key. I can;t see you needing more than 40 in the idle cells for ve. Try that see if it helps

Wow those numbers are high. I would first take the whole table and reduce it by 10 numbers to start. Select the whole table and use the pagedn key. I can;t see you needing more than 40 in the idle cells for ve. Try that see if it helps
Thanks I'll give it a shot and see how it goes

What is your target AFR set to in those cells at idle?
Target is 14.0 for those cells in that table.

I was going to agree, comparing that VE table to the one in my Translator Pro, but not knowing a lot about XFI I didn't want to step out of line.

SRZ, your VE tables are WAY too high for idle. Myself, aswell as a couple other guys that i know of, are right around 38-45(45 at most) at idle.

Are you trying to idle in open loop or closed loop? I would assume open loop since you have the AFR table set at 14.0 and its actually running high 10's...and also i would assume there is no O2 correction going on at idle.

Also.... does your car idle in that area at normal operating temp? Or after a cold start? over 1000rpm is quite high of an idle.

Keep in mind, the VE table is setting volumetric efficiency parameters of your engine in the Fast. This should generally be the same for alot of different injectors, although some adjust may need to be made.

Heres a picture of my current VE table. Im still in the process of tweaking the midrange (mainly, just in the process of smoothing everything out). Check out my base VE maps. I highlighted where my car normally idles at. I do realize you have a different motor and things may be a tad bit different, but just to give you an idea.

Attachments

• VE map 14.jpg
    VE map 14.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 415
SRZ, your VE tables are WAY too high for idle. Myself, aswell as a couple other guys that i know of, are right around 38-45(45 at most) at idle.

Are you trying to idle in open loop or closed loop? I would assume open loop since you have the AFR table set at 14.0 and its actually running high 10's...and also i would assume there is no O2 correction going on at idle.

Also.... does your car idle in that area at normal operating temp? Or after a cold start? over 1000rpm is quite high of an idle.

Keep in mind, the VE table is setting volumetric efficiency parameters of your engine in the Fast. This should generally be the same for alot of different injectors, although some adjust may need to be made.

Heres a picture of my current VE table. Im still in the process of tweaking the midrange (mainly, just in the process of smoothing everything out). Check out my base VE maps. I highlighted where my car normally idles at. I do realize you have a different motor and things may be a tad bit different, but just to give you an idea.

Right now it's closed loop. I'm going to switch to OL. The car idles @ 1000rpm @ cold start and dips to 950ish or so @ normal operating temps. No updates as I've been in the hospital. I'll be making the changes in a couple of hrs after I've settled in and post an update.

Thanks for the table too! It helps to see what others have done.

Silas,

Well I adjusted the table and it cleared up some. I'm in the 12.85-13.0 afr range now but I have a more serious problem w/ a leaky fuel rail. :( Just had it repaired and still it leaks. I'm gonna have to just wait til I'm back on US soil in 8 mos (stationed @ Ramstein AB Germany) and get the car tuned by FLP. This build has been 2 yrs in the making and don't want to dick it up.

Would've been nice to have had some seat time here on the autobahn but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. Thanks again guys for the help!

Silas,

Well I got the rail fixed so I'm back in the saddle. I notice the car heats up really quick it doesn't over heat but it gets up to temp in under 2 mins. I'm assuming too much timing @ idle but if I drop the timing 2* or so it idles like pooh. The AFR changes for the better slightly but I still can't seem to get it to go 13.5-14.0 range. I used a tune off a friend as we essentially have the identical builds as I copied his (minus the intake and inj's) and I still pretty much have the same results. Is there anyone interested in looking at the file and giving me some pointers? Silas,

Thanks!

Well I got the rail fixed so I'm back in the saddle. I notice the car heats up really quick it doesn't over heat but it gets up to temp in under 2 mins. I'm assuming too much timing @ idle but if I drop the timing 2* or so it idles like pooh. The AFR changes for the better slightly but I still can't seem to get it to go 13.5-14.0 range. I used a tune off a friend as we essentially have the identical builds as I copied his (minus the intake and inj's) and I still pretty much have the same results. Is there anyone interested in looking at the file and giving me some pointers? Silas,

Thanks!

I can give you a hand with it. You are online right now go ahead and send it to me.

my numbers in those boxes are about half that.also check your throlle follower. your number on the extreme left of the grapht shold be 6-8 range with line slowly rising to about halfway on the extreme right of the screen

my numbers in those boxes are about half that.also check your throlle follower. your number on the extreme left of the grapht shold be 6-8 range with line slowly rising to about halfway on the extreme right of the screen

To each his own.... my left side is at 20. :redface:

My throttle follower. Thoughts?

Attachments

• throttle follower.doc
    45 KB · Views: 141
Is your injector size set properly in the configuration?

Also, I'm not sure why he is suggesting to check your throttle follower. That graph doesn't bother me, but I would think that throttle follower won't cause a rich idle.

-Bob C.

Is your injector size set properly in the configuration?

Also, I'm not sure why he is suggesting to check your throttle follower. That graph doesn't bother me, but I would think that throttle follower won't cause a rich idle.

-Bob C.

Yes all my global parameters are dialed in. I should've posted a timing table while I was at it just to see what others thoughts are. It's a safe table that's for sure and I haven't done anything to it yet. All of you are a big help I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• spark table.doc
    59 KB · Views: 117
i had my numbers on my ve table already set real low and at idle with my foot on the brake i still was 11.5 a/f .i checked my idle follower and my number on the extream left of the grapht was 3.i changed it to 10 and that one change alone it went to 12.7.now when i go out and flog in no more black smoke any more . it worked for my car .just my .02