Mechanics... Advise needed.

Madcat455

True love
Hey guys,

I'm trading my motorcycle for a car, cause I need something safer to take my kid to school now (don't feel comfortable at highway speeds with the little one on the back).

So I posted an ad on the local CraigsList here, and have had 2 offers to trade as of yet.

I'm looking for a small, 4 cyl, auto or manual... that's good on gas (close to the bike as possible).

But I'm not going to be too picky.

I'd like to pick your brains, to see which would be better car... I don't want a lemon... LOL.

Basically, I'm looking at a 2001 Dodge Neon... 4cyl auto, 120K. Are there any problem areas with these that I should be looking at?

And the other choice (as of now) is a 1999 Ford Taurus, V6 (Duratech DOHC version), 140K. Any problematic areas with these I should look at? This car is in nicer condition than the Neon cosmetically, but I'm not concerned with that. I want to get a car that's going to last, and be the least trouble.

I'm leaning towards the Taurus, I drove the Neon... and it needs some work, but is mechanically sound (so it seemed).

Opinions??

Thanks,

Jeff

I have never owned either one of those cars. Hate to see you are getting rid of the Shadow though but, it is understood as to why.

People I have known have had transmission problems with a taurus. Seemed to me more often than they should.

If the neon breaks its cheap to fix. We dont have any great running taurus' that come through our shop. Alot of trans problems, power steering leaks and just leaks overall. Im not saying neons are cherrys themselves but that would be my choice

I'd wait for a Nissan, Toyota but especially a Honda to pop up.

D

Can't do foreign.... those cars down here go for twice as much as domestic, if you can find one There's a HUGE demand for cars under 3K here, lots of illegals buying them, I listed 2 cars years past for under 3K, and had over 50 emails and 20 calls in less then 5hrs. It was GONE that night... and I wouldn't sell it to anyone without a Drivers License at that, you should've SEEN how quickly that narrowed the buyers... I was dumbfounded.

My issue also is that I need to trade the bike, and most people aren't into that. It'd take me months to sell it, all the while loosing money driving the Bronco ($100 in gas for 4 days... OMG).

I ended up trading for the Neon.. I figured that even if it dies at 150K, I can have a replacement engine/trans sitting in the garage to drop in that night...lol. Cheap and easy to work on. Going to hunt for a manual setup for it.. nice 5spd setup if I can find one.

Lets see.. I've owned Ford, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Chevy, and Mazda.... Guess it's time I added Dodge to the list..lol.