mechanical fuel pump problem can any one help me?

can anyone help?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jose ramirez

i discovered that my mechanical fuel pump was leaking on my 84 bucik regal limited v6 3.8, i was wondering if any one could instruct me on how to properly install my fuel pump this is the first time ive ever changed a mechanical fuel pump i heard that they work with a push rod but when i look inside i cant see it i put my finger inside and i cant feel any thing or my finger is too short,can any one instruct me on how to properly install it i dont want to mess any thing up.

this is how the new pump looks the original one is identical the only thing is that the lever on the original one has a little plate on it is that an issue? please can someone help!

Mechanical pumps are really easy to do. There is a little rod in there, if you cant feel it or see it, it might be stuck up. Try cranking the motor over once (or spin it by hand)and then look again. I usually use a thin saw blade to hold the rod up and then slide the pump in. Hope this helps

Mechanical pumps are really easy to do. There is a little rod in there, if you cant feel it or see it, it might be stuck up. Try cranking the motor over once (or spin it by hand)and then look again. I usually use a thin saw blade to hold the rod up and then slide the pump in. Hope this helps
thank you all help is apretiated i will be doing that tomorrow i ran out of sun light thank you

is the rod easly visible? because its a real tight spot to work on i had to remove the power steering pump to get to the fuelpump and i used i flash light and mirror to look inside but that wasent very helpful i need a brighter flash light

Ive done a couple on my 350, its in a truck so its alot easier to work on. But you should be able to stick your finger in the hole and feel it. It comes in from the top

I don't think there's any rod on a 3.8 V6. If there is I have no idea where it would go.

Just take the two fuel lines loose, remove the two bolts that hold the pump on and it'll fall out. Installation if the reverse of removal.

If the engine stops with the pump lobe compressing the pump, It might help to turn the engine and relieve some pressure to start the pump bolts. Depending on if there's any crap in the way it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do it.

Yeah cant say ive ever done one, i just assumed that was how all mechanical pumps worked

I don't think there's any rod on a 3.8 V6. If there is I have no idea where it would go.

Just take the two fuel lines loose, remove the two bolts that hold the pump on and it'll fall out. Installation if the reverse of removal.

If the engine stops with the pump lobe compressing the pump, It might help to turn the engine and relieve some pressure to start the pump bolts. Depending on if there's any crap in the way it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do it.
thank you for the help i dint want to mess up anything that's why i wanted to ask, are you sure their isent any rod in their, if there were to be a rod what kind of damage could it cause to the car if i installed it incorrectly

i just need to be a hundred percent sure their isent any rod in their and ill be installing the new fuel pump first thing in the morning

Earlbrown is correct No rod on a 3.8 buick. It is driven by a pump lobe that is on the front of the cam. Just follow his instructions.

i have another question the original pump had a thin metal plate on the top of the pump lever and the new one dosent have itis that a problem

Just unbolt old fuel pump and install new pump. If the new fuel pump does not sit flush with timing cover just follow earlbrowns directions below. Regarding the new pump it wont be a problem not having that plate some manufactures put it some dont.

ok thank you very much i apretiate it thanks for your help i will be replacing the pump first thing in the morning

this is probably the easiest job you will ever do on your car.. just dive in and git er dun...
one tip: have a 3/8" (or 5/16", depending on what size the hose is) bolt handy to jam in the big hose after you pull it off the old fuel pump.. unless, of course, you want the contents of your gas tank to run out onto the ground while you are trying to get the old pump off, gasket scraped off, and new pump bolted on...