May not be exactly what it appears to be

Do a search on either here or the board ending is ...............s. I checked that car out a few months ago. Maybe 3 months back. It's a very long story. The owner told me that when he bought the car, the mileage was too low to be legally brought into the state of Ca, so he advanced the odometer about 5 or 6 thousand miles. He also sole the car to his brother-in-law, and then bought it back, so even though he sort of is the first owner, but not the original owner, he told me that carfax will show about 3 owners, or changes of hands, but maybe with the same owners. E-mail him for a vin # to carfax with, and see what he says. I thought that I saw some non-factory paint on the passenger side front fender & hood. I might have posted on t6p, also, but I did post the story about 3 months back. Now you know why iot says about 12K miles, or whatever it says in the add. Don't take my word for it, be your own investigator here, and find out for yourself.

Originally posted by Wells
The owner told me that when he bought the car, the mileage was too low to be legally brought into the state of Ca,

That is a good one. The only instance a domestic automobile is restricted from being sold in CA is if it is 3 model years or newer with less that 7500 miles on it and meets federal emissions ONLY. So unless this guy was trying to sell the car into CA between 1987 and 1990, there are no restrictions on it's sale into CA. If the guy tells you that, then he's really feeding you a line of BS.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
That is a good one. The only instance a domestic automobile is restricted from being sold in CA is if it is 3 model years or newer with less that 7500 miles on it and meets federal emissions ONLY. So unless this guy was trying to sell the car into CA between 1987 and 1990, there are no restrictions on it's sale into CA. If the guy tells you that, then he's really feeding you a line of BS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gofstbuick:
I think that if you remember about 3 or 4 months back, maybe a little longer, I called you and asked regarding that very same statement and you advised at that time that it just couldn't be. That was not the only statement that bothered me. He also told me that he advanced the odometer about 6 thousand or so and then took it back to DMV about a year later and got plates at that time because the DMV would not give him plates, claiming that the mileage was too low to bring the car into the state and plate it. This was in a phone conversation. Can you imagine somebody whom you do know telling you that they advanced the mileage reading so the actual mileage is really less that the odometer reads. Talk about a "Here I am, arrest me for odometer tampering" statement. After I told him that it was not a very good idea to make any such statement to anybody on a telephone, or anywhere, or to even think about doing that, he asks me,"Do you think that it would be better to tell perspcetive buyers that the mileage is what it claims to be on the odometer, rather than telling them the truth about the odometer advancement?" I was basically speechless, seriously. If anybody has a hard time believing this, then by all means call the seller and ask him to explian the "about 12K mileage" claim on the add. You guys might get a better story, but I doubt it. Free call if you have a cell.