Maximum gear clearance for oil pump?

Benched

With a booster plate, the plastigage told me I had .072 inches of clearance.
The gasket I used was .006 inch. There was nothing wrong with my oil pressure prior to this, I was just wanting to blueprint the pump.

I don't want to have to buy a new timing cover. Do I have another option?

Benched said:
With a booster plate, the plastigage told me I had .072 inches of clearance.
The gasket I used was .006 inch. There was nothing wrong with my oil pressure prior to this, I was just wanting to blueprint the pump.

I don't want to have to buy a new timing cover. Do I have another option?
I shoot for .0015in clearance myself. .007in is too much imo.

Been There ,done That..................

If your oil pressure was good before than leave it alone, period. I set mine up with .002 end clearance and had 65lbs. after warm-up at idle than the gauge would peg passed 80 lbs. the moment I touched the gas (way to much). So it's up to you but I would let the oil pressure be the final word.

Is there anything special you have to do to take these things apart?

I was trying to have a look at my oil pump after the motor disentegrated and I undid the 5 - 6 bolts and it would come undone from the front cover . Assistance appreciated...

I just realized that I made a mistake in reading the plastigage. It turned out as .076 mm, which is .003 inches. I am taking a sanding block to the timing cover, and then trying again.

There are two bolts under the filter/turbo oiler adapter. Use an 1 and 1/8 socket to pull the filter threaded stud out and the whole adapter should come off, exposing the two 3/8ths headed bolts.

wbrophy said:
If your oil pressure was good before than leave it alone, period. I set mine up with .002 end clearance and had 65lbs. after warm-up at idle than the gauge would peg passed 80 lbs. the moment I touched the gas (way to much). So it's up to you but I would let the oil pressure be the final word.
Was this hot with 5W-30 or 0W-30? If so this has to be a record for a stock timing cover set up. I usually see around 20 psi hot in gear idle and 80psi at 6k rpm with hot 5W-30 with .0015 gear clearance, new cam bearings, and .0015 rod and main clearances.

bison said:
Was this hot with 5W-30 or 0W-30? If so this has to be a record for a stock timing cover set up. I usually see around 20 psi hot in gear idle and 80psi at 6k rpm with hot 5W-30 with .0015 gear clearance, new cam bearings, and .0015 rod and main clearances.

This was with a wear plate, stock timing cover and gears runing .0015 clearance on the rods & main bearings using 0-30 or 5-30 oil (no $hit). I found it hard to believe too. I did however match the slots/holes in the plate to the oem cover or the other way around and made one of the slots deeper it's full length in the oem cover, if you put the plate and oem cover together the mod's just made sense.

Benched said:
There are two bolts under the filter/turbo oiler adapter. Use an 1 and 1/8 socket to pull the filter threaded stud out and the whole adapter should come off, exposing the two 3/8ths headed bolts.

Durn I completely missed that, thanks!