MAP sensor.. is it needed

snodgrass

I have a wrecked 87 Gn that I'm using for the drive train to put in my el camino. The GN has a digital dash, and their is no MAP sensor on that car. It has a boost pressure switch. My buddy's GN has a analog dash , and his car has a MAP sensor without the boost switch. Since I am using the chevy dash without any boost guage or light in the dash, do I need the MAP and/or boost switch anymore? Does the MAP sensor or boost switch have any effect on timing or fuel enrichment? (I do have a mechanical guage to monitor boost, so I'm not clueless). Thanks for any info, Jeff

No, the map sensor is only for the dash boost gauge. The ecm doesn't know it's there or not.

It doesn't regulate boost and it doesn't know how much boost there is. It measures the incoming airflow with the maf sensor (which pegs somewhere in the mid-12's), and pulses the wastegate solenoid to raise the boost over the mechanical setpoint, but it never knows just what boost was achieved.

Doesn't sound like that would work very well, but I guess it's good enough. Thanks for the reply!!!!