Manual Trans That Bolts To the LC2

mrg7243

Hi I know everytime someone brings this up the general rah rah is to leave it automatic as its faster, spool time, clutch, blah blah blah.

Well that is not what I am looking for. I am starting the plans for a fun car/drift car power by you guessed it the Grand National LC2. And for that I would like a manual to keep some mad skids going.

I am not sure what it will be getting swapped into yet but it will be a complete 1 off build and absolutely nuts.

I am looking for a 6 speed that will bolt up. 5 speed if I have too.

So basically this goes in between the bell housing and the transmission. Does the input shaft have to be lengthened as well?

What about the hole for the clutch fork and mouting the slave cylinder and such. I was looking more to see if maybe an LSx trans or LT1 trans would bolt on. Or maybe another option

So basically this goes in between the bell housing and the transmission. Does the input shaft have to be lengthened as well?

Plate will allow you to remove a Muncie, T10, Saginaw or T5 transmission, mount a T56 transmission (LS1 or Viper) and retain the use of your original bell housing and clutch linkage. An LT1 T56 may also be used, but the input shaft must be changed to the longer LS1 input.

Sounds like you would need a BOP bellhousing for a Muncie or T10 to use the adapter from the gearbox.com.

What about the hole for the clutch fork and mouting the slave cylinder and such.

My mistake - if you are using a BOP bellhousing for a Muncie or T10, that means all the clutch linkage and pedals would be from that same application. You would not need the hydraulics from the T56.

This isn't a great idea since the components come from different places. I would rather have all the parts come from one application - the same which the T56 came from.

There is also this bellhousing that goes from BOP to T56. Which hydraulics does it use? Which transmission? Input shaft? Not sure. You might call the retailer.
http://americanpowertrain.com/i-842...olds-pontiac-to-6-speed-ls-t56-gm-magnum.html

Maybe someone else has other ideas?

Paul Lohr

That last link you posted if pretty perfect as I am sure the manufacturer knows those details.

Basically I have the 3.8l block but no transmission for it to attach to. And since I do not want to go buy a bunch of GM transmissions in order to see if they bolt on I was asking here first.

How about a T-50? Not very common but I'm sure it bolts to a Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac engine. It was built for track racing with 1st off to the left, with 2nd and 3rd in the same gate. Does anyone remember this unit?

The T-50 was offered in the H-body cars (Vega Monza, etc) and was very weak. I had one behind my N/A 4.1 that as fairy stock and broke the trans several times. I was very careful with it also. Good luck finding parts for one too. Really what you need is a bellhousing that bolts to a BOP. Just about any trans will bolt to it. The trans isn't the issue. Also be very careful about the pressure plate apply pressure as the standard trans is very tough on thrust bearings in the Buick V6. Again speaking from experience. It was fun but a big pain in the butt.

The T-50 was offered in the H-body cars (Vega Monza, etc) and was very weak. I had one behind my N/A 4.1 that as fairy stock and broke the trans several times. I was very careful with it also. Good luck finding parts for one too. Really what you need is a bellhousing that bolts to a BOP. Just about any trans will bolt to it. The trans isn't the issue. Also be very careful about the pressure plate apply pressure as the standard trans is very tough on thrust bearings in the Buick V6. Again speaking from experience. It was fun but a big pain in the butt.

Exactly what you said, I need a bell housing.

That american link Paul posted may be the only answer.

Lets think about it this way. Which motors share the same bell housing pattern as the 3.8. Do any v8's

Hi I know everytime someone brings this up the general rah rah is to leave it automatic as its faster, spool time, clutch, blah blah blah.

Well that is not what I am looking for. I am starting the plans for a fun car/drift car power by you guessed it the Grand National LC2. And for that I would like a manual to keep some mad skids going.

I am not sure what it will be getting swapped into yet but it will be a complete 1 off build and absolutely nuts.

I am looking for a 6 speed that will bolt up. 5 speed if I have too.

I did that with my 1989 TTA
I had to learn the hard way and I can tell you that American Power Train they will tell you they can do the conversion with out any problems.
Well I got the whole kit from them and then I had to return almost everything back to them except the transmission lol
Like the Bell housing it was wrong, But they send me the right one BOP
Flywheel was wrong 168 tooth , But they send the right one 160th
Flywheel was wrong again 160 tooth but counter balance, Now I told them I have a built engine and it Internally balanced.
Clutch 11" was wrong , But they took for ever to send the right one so I ordered mine from ACT 10.5 diameter , 27 spline
After I got all the right parts the Transmission needed a 1/4" spacer because the shaft from the transmission will push against the Crank.
American Power Train forgot to mention that this may have been a possibility.
Master cylinder and slave, Not what was shown on the kit, That fancy billet looking one with the red anodize. But the did send me a stock one with some small mods on it. witch I payed a high price.
Cross member was wrong also, The LS1 or Viper T56(Magnum) is longer about an 1" to 1.5" then the LT1 / T56 . So there was some major mods that I needed to do on it.
Also you will need to measure your drive shaft after you install the transmission.
Last i will mention that their are two type of gear ratios for the T56 Magnum short and long, Pick the long so I wont rev out the gears to fast.

I Love the conversion so far , I can have the car in any gear and be ready to launch. Plus this transmission puts the power all on the tires.
The 200r4 even with all the work on it felt that you were loosing allot more power ,Is nothing that will make me go back to it. :happy:

I hope this information can help you and anybody else that's trying to do this conversion.

The 78-81 Chevy Malibu was offered with a manual (t5 trans) some of the malibus came with the 231na v6

There's no issue with putting a manual behind an LC2, its the fact that it is a very fast accelerating engine, but low rpm engine. Doing supporting modifications to get the motor to make power while spinning up to 6500+ would be the best scenario in my opinion. You will be running out if rpm real quick. Good luck with your endeavor...sincerely.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thats why you need to use the t56 magnum with the long gear ratio

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My TTA with T56 Magnum

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387165040587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387165040587.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 150
this is the fly wheel that I end up replacing do that it was counter balanced and my engine is internally balanced

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387165216760.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387165216760.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110