Manual steering that is ok for street?

rtviper

The cars I owned when younger all had manual steering and were fine on the street. Why cant one convert the GN to a similar setup today. My car has manual steering now and it is really a bear to steer when moving slowly. I do not know what model it is but it is a conversion.
Why did ther older car work fine with manual and todays cars are terrible when switched over?
Is there a solution that will allow one to stay manual, besides weight training?

If there is a kit to do that, I have never heard of it. I would seriously look at the weight training. Besides, you would probibly have to change the entire steering system out if you found one that fit.

The old cars of yesterday w/o power steering also had HUGE steering wheels.

Why couldn't you convert your car to non p.s.? Wouldn't an S-10 steering box work? They did have non p.s. on them at one time. I believe that's how the G body Malibu boys do it.

The big question is "why would someone want to remove the power steering off of their car?"

My car already had the power steering removed to simplify the turbo v8 install I assume. I bought a 68 nova new in 1968 with manual steering and it was no big deal to drive the car. The steering wheel on the car wasnt much bigger then the GN wheel.
Some guys have used the S-10 steering box but I have read their comments where the steering is very hard. My car may have that box already?
I was wondering if anyone had a solution,short of replacing the power steering unit

howm any turns do you have lock to lock? most manual boxes are 4-4.5 turns lock to lock.
i don't know if they fit, but believe it or not, some old Camaros (67-69 Z/28) came standard with a manual steering box that was only 2.5 turns lock to lock... that had to be fun to parallel park, and it might be what you have.
otherwise, maybe get a bigger steering wheel and skinny tires on the front so there is less rubber gripping the road. or get one of those steering knobs that you see on tractors and big trucks.

I run a mid-80's S-10 manual box on my 78 Malibu drag car, which is essentially the same as the GN. It's not a problem on the street. It takes a little more elbow grease, and I did loose a few pounds of weight as well as get the drag off the crank.

Ooh, ooh! I know this one. The reason that cars which have been converted from power steering to manual steering are hard to drive is that power steering boxes have much lower ratios than manual steering boxes. Drive a 96' Geo metro which has manual steering and it's easy because it was designed for it. Most manual steer cars also have zero caster as apposed to +1 or 2 degrees for power steering, which makes it easier to steer a low speeds but less stabil at higher speeds.

I bought a 68 nova new in 1968 with manual steering and it was no big deal to drive the car.

If I recall correctly, the 1968 Nova had 14X6 rims and I don't remember the tire size but I'm sure it was as narrow as the rim itself.

Skinnier tires make a difference on a non power steering car.

I used to have a 1984 S-10 short bed reg cab that had a 350 V8 transplanted into it, and it had manual steering. It worked ok for being a nose heavy truck but it only weighed in at 2700 lbs curb too. But at low speeds it did take some arm muscle to turn the wheel.

I just discoverd my manual steering box is indeed a 67-68 camaro manual box.
The pitman arm is pretty long also. I will try the pitman arm that is .6 inches shorter to see if that helps.
I might be better off with the s-10 unit with higher ratio.

I have read some of the guys talk about their rack n pinion conversion and they didnt sound that thrilled?
I just want to be able to turn the wheel at very low speeds with reasonable effort. Right now I have to turn in parts as it takes both hands to move it