Making a safe purchase of a car out of state

eagleguy

What is the best way to keep an out of state transaction safe for both parties? I know there are many variables and stories out there. What is the best way to handle the transaction overall?
I would think it is best to send $ from one bank to another. Then there's the matter of paying first, before the car is shipped and before a title is received. I am big into the "over the phone" hand shake and trust thing but I just want to do the best I can with this kind of transaction. What would be the norm if there is such a thing?

Thanks

Do you have a car in mind already ? I bought mine from a member on this board and it got good "reviews" from other members , so I made an over the phone deal that I would purchase upon personal inspection . I live in western NY and made the drive to Massachusetts with cash , left with car & clean title on the trailer. It was pretty painless , contacted seller on Monday & picked it up on Saturday .

I just did same thing a few months ago. Asked a board member to check car out for me. Plus others on the board vouched for him/car also. Had him put it on eBay with a buy it now and made the deal. Had it shipped to me and all is well. Paid him by PayPal deposit then a check from my bank. Good luck . VINNY

I just did same thing a few months ago. Asked a board member to check car out for me. Plus others on the board vouched for him/car also. Had him put it on eBay with a buy it now and made the deal. Had it shipped to me and all is well. Paid him by PayPal deposit then a check from my bank. Good luck . VINNY
Who paid the ebay fee and how is that safer?

eBay offers buyer protection if the car qualifies. Go to eBay and read up on it. I felt a lil better by using it. And luckily he paid to list it. VINNY

The car and the process is not the only thing to take into account when making a long distance purchase with a total stranger. IMO, feeling out the seller to determine if he is someone you want to do business with is equally important. Listen to that little voice in your head. It's usually right.

I bought a car from NY on this board and before even receiving it I traded it and shipped it to Alabama for a stage 2 motor . I gave him 1/2 then when I knew it was on the trailer to be transported I gave him the other 1/2. Lots of pictures and communication .

Plane ticket and traveling to physically see vehicle is not an option at the moment. Pretty comfortable with the seller, communication and inspection to date. Just want to protect myself best I can when sending funds ahead of vehicle.

x100% on the plane ticket, dont ask how i know... I got screwed by a well respected board member a while back and will never do it again.. 30k down the drain..

I found a car, bought a plane ticket, paid the man, drove it 7 hrs home. I'm a strong believer that once you hand over cash, it yours. I follow that principle no matter what side of the transaction I'm on. If you buy something sight unseen, don't complain if your definition of junk is very similar to someone's definition of mint.

If you cannot go to the car yourself, get a tr man to go there for you, foolish to just send money and expect all to be well. Why take the chance?

Screwed how?
Bad transmission that would not even shift into second, slipping third, leaky C clips eliminators from poor installation, bad tune, headers rubbed through the fuel line (I am very lucky it did not catch on fire) just to fix transmission was 7k, and mind you this car was suppose to be a turn key car.. SMH.. lesson learned and will never again buy a car from anybody on the board sight unseen..

Bad transmission that would not even shift into second, slipping third, leaky C clips eliminators from poor installation, bad tune, headers rubbed through the fuel line (I am very lucky it did not catch on fire) just to fix transmission was 7k, and mind you this car was suppose to be a turn key car.. SMH.. lesson learned and will never again buy a car from anybody on the board sight unseen..
Was the car inspected by anyone before you bought it?

Well here we go. Funds sent, title on the way via FedEx. Tomorrow shipping will be arranged. I have spoken so much with the owner over the last couple of weeks I feel like he lives down the block. Hope that is a good thing!