main and rod bearing clearance question

ARP main studs should be torqued to 100 ft/lbs with the ARP moly lube.[/QUOT
ARP main stud torque have different instructions depending on what lube they came with. Old sets are 95 ft lbs with original moly lube. The newer sets with Ultra Lube are 110. Motor oil is 125. The crank should turn easily no matter what the torque is. What machine shop did the work? PM me if you prefer not say in this post.
Thanks for correcting me:)

Fowler makes some budget priced micrometers and bore gauges. They work fine for occasional use at home.

I've got a $35 Shars bore gauge that's just as accurate and repeatable as the identical Mitutoyo they seemed to have copied.

That's one good thing about this job. You really don't have to know the exact journal and bore size. All you need to know is the clearance. The mic is just a transfer medium for setting up the bore gauge.

I would recommend a quality name brand set of mics though. Bonus points if they have a vernier scale (and you can use them accurately). Mic are defiantly a 'feel' tool. ESP when you tart screwing with 1/2 of tenths.

Last edited:
Agree about the "feel" part of using precision measuring equipment. I am not allowed to measure holes in aircraft (where I work) with ball gauges and micrometers. There is always a tenth or two difference between some mechanics and inspectors. We use electronic Fed-Max gauges now. Cool tools. Years ago I had an agreement with most of my QA that if a freeze plug is going to be ordered, I would take all the measurements and record them. They could double triple check anything I did, but most didn't have the "feel" down pat. Good inspectors knew their strengths and weaknesses. (Plus they knew I didn't cheat, and wanted it perfect, not just in spec.). But every once in a while I'd get some new person that would tighten their ball gauge to the point it would go BOING! when they pulled it out of the hole. I would just smile and ask them to slide it back in...........of course it wouldn't fit. Lessons learned.
Any news from your machinist yet?