Lower front end?

MSA231V6

I will post this in the suspension forum as well, but thought the Stage II guys might have an answer.

I have a back-halved car that is currently sitting too high in the front. The front suspension is bone stone stock except for a pair of Competition Engineering shocks that I do not think play into the picture too much. I am assuming that the best (and easiest relatively) way to accomplish my goal is to cut the stock springs or replace them. I am not sure exactly how much I want to lower the car in the front but it is at least an inch or more.

I would appreciate any thoughts on:

1) If and how much to cut the stock springs.

2) Ideas for replacement springs to lower the front end.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

get the belltech drop spindles for 150 bucks, keeps the geometry correct and is easy to do.
Grant

n20junkie said:
get the belltech drop spindles for 150 bucks, keeps the geometry correct and is easy to do.
Grant

But, they force the top of the tire out, and can cause the tire to get into the fender, when the spring compresses (like, landing after a wheelie), if there's not enough clearance, intially.

Chopping the spring puts the upper a-arm over center in the right direction to avoid that.

You're right about easier to do thou, at least as far as getting the spring out. I'd say align both after the work.

I have dropped spindles and aftermarket coil overs and upper and lower A-arms. I have NOT raced with this new combo. But, it will lower your front ride height. My upper control arms have rod ends so that I can adjust upper A-arm length and also I have limited my suspension travel to minimize camber changes.

I used aset of moroso drap springs in my car and it was slammed to the ground sitting on the front snubbers,They are the ones rated for a Big block chevy,
If you want ill send them to you,If they work send me 50bucks
Otto

i don't see how the dropped spindles will change the wheels vertical alignment, it moves the wheel straight up, the suspension is in the exact same position it was before the spindle change, just the spindle stud was moved up. If anything will mess stuff up cutting the springwill, it moves the suspension to a position that is normally only seen in a compressed suspension state, and that is never alligned for, so the camber will be off until you get it aligned, and sometimes getting it aligned takes alot of shims out to get it correct.
Grant

KLHAMMETT said:
I used aset of moroso drap springs in my car and it was slammed to the ground sitting on the front snubbers,They are the ones rated for a Big block chevy,
If you want ill send them to you,If they work send me 50bucks
Otto

still have the spring?

do it right and get the drop spindles. The geometry stays the same and bump steer will get better. ALL other ways will have some sort of side effect.

drop spindles

Thanks for the replies so far. The general consensus from various sources seems to be to go with the drop spindle set up. Can someone give me a general idea of what is involved with the install. Motors and trannies I am good with, not too much experience with front suspension components.

Thanks.

Michael

remove tires and brakes, put jack under lower control arm, remove upper and lower ball joint cotter pins,remove ball joint nuts, use fork to pop joints out of spindle, slowly lower jack til the spindle will drop out, remove spindle, do the oppsite to reinstall the new one.
Grant

Most excellent pictorials

I highly recommend the following sites as I used them for my first time:

http://www.show-n-go.net/gfiles/FrontSpring1.html

http://www.digitallights.com/442/frontsusp.aspx

MSA231V6 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. The general consensus from various sources seems to be to go with the drop spindle set up. Can someone give me a general idea of what is involved with the install. Motors and trannies I am good with, not too much experience with front suspension components.

Thanks.

Michael