loud grinding noise

trbodon21

Its been about 1.5 weeks since I last ran my GN. I went out today to start it and I had a little trouble getting it started because of cold weather and not running it in awhile. After a few stalls I try again and hear a loud screaching noise and motor won't turn over. I am thinking the starter is stuck on the teeth of the flywheel, but being that I've never had a problem like this I just want to confirm. Everytime I try to start it now the engine won't turn over and I hear a loud screeching noise. I am going to try to turn the flywheel over manually tomorrow to see if that gets it going. Any suggestions or if I am trying to fix the wrong problem let me know. Thanks

Sounds right...

Starter is probably hitting the ring gear on the flex plate. Try rocking the car forward/backwards a bit. Push on the front or rear bumper and let it roll back and forth. Sometimes this will help get the flex plate to move enough to get the starter to engage. -Gabe

Why would that help? Excuse me, but we're not talking about a manual transmission car here,are we? You might put a breaker bar on the damper bolt to try to turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE,if you can get at it. Otherwise ,pull the converter shield and check to see if, indeed, the starter is locking the flywheel. If so, you would need a shim or tightening of the bolts or a new starter. If not, oh well... By the way, you might check to see if you have an electrical or mechanical problem, perhaps engaging the starter after you let the switch loose. Good luck!
Dale

Gabe isn't wrong. I've done it on cars before with automatic trans. You can rock back and forth in the seat and get it to move a little. Sounds like starter not engaging to me also but that could be the bendix hanging and would basically require replacement.

update

Well the gear was stuck on the flywheel, but also the starter gear housing was cracked. I guess when the starter got stuck and I kept trying to turn the motor the torque was tranfered to the housing and it cracked.

I went to parts store for my lifetime replacement on starter and was told that the housing cracked because of kick back. So what causes this kick back or in other words from the parts store guy "motor turning backwards" ? How serious of a problem is this?

starter

tell the guy at the parts store to kiss your ___. i went through five starters on an 87 monte carlo before getting a good one. there was nothing wrong with the car. only advice don't buy a reman starter, especially not from autozone or advanced!!!!!

The problem...

The problem with reman gm starters is that most have been remaned soo many times because they never changed the designe of any of their starters. Also, most lifetime warranties will not cover a broken nose cone, they say this is due to improper shimming. The real truth is that the nose cones get week after being in a car for all these years with the heat of the header and block right next to them. Just hold on to your warranty paperwork, and don't take any crap when they say they won't warranty it, they will. The customer is always right.:D I sold parts for 7 years, I'd know...

Re: The problem...

Originally posted by Zurn
The problem with reman gm starters is that most have been remaned soo many times because they never changed the designe of any of their starters. Also, most lifetime warranties will not cover a broken nose cone, they say this is due to improper shimming. The real truth is that the nose cones get week after being in a car for all these years with the heat of the header and block right next to them. Just hold on to your warranty paperwork, and don't take any crap when they say they won't warranty it, they will. The customer is always right.:D I sold parts for 7 years, I'd know...
On the contrary, Most rebuilders buy non factory nose cones probably from over seas & the manufactureing tolerances are sloppy thus requireing shimming. Should you run into this problem with a rebuilt just swap out nose pieces from the orginal. Not a hard thing to do.

Try the breaker bar. take it and beat the crap out of your car. If it still won't start keep hitting it until you feel a little better. Then go inside drink some beer. Then get the car towed to your nearest shop. That's just what I would do. but I drink too much beer:D

kinda how it works...

That's kinda how it works for me too, except I just get pissed, break something else, them my car sits for a few months till I get motivated to work on it again. That’s why it's in pieces now...:D