Lots of condensation on startup

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Read a little here about extra condensation on startup on E85. I experienced it the other morning. Thought it would never clear up but it did. Also read that cars run cooler on E85 and yup, mine does too. For sure at least 10°, cruise temps are around 150 to high 140s.

More interestingly, I read someone was using a catch can like used to be used on PCV systems due to the lower engine temps and internal engine condensation. Is that really necessary? Should I consider going back to a 180° thermostat?

E85 = 85% alky & 15% H2O. :D:p
I'd vote for the 180* stat. At 150*, the oil will sludge up at a faster rate than normal.
Would be interesting to see an oil sample comparo of the oil with 150* vs 180 stat......

Yeah, I think I'll watch the dipstick pretty close. I can build a catch can to try, just something small.

I'm telling you Chuck, this stuff smells like tequila. Wouldn't surprise me to see a worm slide through the hose when I'm filling up.

Combustion makes water. When the exhaust system is cold on startup, the exhaust gas cools and the water condenses to vapor and liquid drops. It's normal.

As long as you warm the engine up regularly to operating temp, you will not find any water in the crankcase.

" you will not find any water in the crankcase. "
@ 150* operating temp, the water will not evaporate like it should...

Ive noticed water coming out of headers on a cold start onto ground before too...clears up quickly though...

Every motor makes water at start up. E85 Makes more. Haven't you ever noticed all the dripping tail pipes on your way to work on a cold morning?