Lost Oil Pressure??

bad six

:mad: Ok here it goes, driving on the freeway getting off at an off ramp coasting to a stop I lost oil presure and a lot of noise like loose rockers, pulled off the road and shut it off, before loosing oil pressure the car was running great water temp at 182, oil pressure at about 35psi then nothing what could have happened. I got the car home pulled the valve covers and everything looks good there, pulled the pan and found what appears to be metal shavings, I thought they were gold but I think that it was the oil in the pan making it look that way. pulled the #2 main cap and it looks good all the rods have a little front to back play but no up and down play, pulled oil pump and the gears have worn the pump just a little. I have checked the cam sensor gear and it appears to be fine. what to check from here, should I just pull the motor and start pulling it apart?? any suggestions would help thanks.

Sounds like the pressure relief stuck open letting all the oil pressure bypass.

How does your oil filter look? We had a buick do something similar and his nylon cam gear started falling apart and clogged his filter.

Hope this helps you.

lost oil pressure

This motor has been rebuilt about 3,000mi ago with forged pistons, double roller timing chain, rolller rockers, HV oil pump and new front cover. among other things. Could and oil galley plug do this? I think that that would have been in the oil pan if it was. I don't know where to look from here the only thing I can think of is pulling the motor and go through it again.

If the camshaft is a flat tappet cam and you have lots of metal in the oil pan start looking at the camshaft and lifters from below with the oil pan off. You may not be able to see all of them though. Worn camshaft lobes can cause the oil pump bypass to stick open because of the loose metal shavings floating around in the oil.

Oil galley plug falling out can cause extremely low or no oil pressure.

Is the cam sensor roll pin still good in the gear?

Why was the engine rebuilt in the first place? If it was from a catastrophic failure....did you reuse the oil cooler in the radiator or did you replace it before you started the new engine?

lost oil pressure

The camshaft sensor roll pin is still there there doesn't seem to be any wear on the gears, I have looked up at the camshaft and cannot see any wear on the camshaft lobes, to answer your question the reason why it was rebuilt was the stock nylon timing gears came apart, I am not running an oil cooler I have the external turbo saver, when I took the oil filter off it only had about only about less than half way full of oil and on other oil changes it was full? There doesn't seem to be any ply in the crankshaft!

Perhaps an oil gallery plug popped out. Also is the pickup tube bolted down tight?

Since you're this far into teardown, you might want to remove the front cover and a) check the oil pump, and b) check the gallery plugs.

You might want to check to see if the oil pump gear to shaft is still pressed on tight. It might be slipping.

List of things:

Pick up tube fell off.
Pick up tube gasket.
Oil pick up tube has crack or hole in it above oil level.
Oil pump gear to shaft is slipping.
Oil pump shaft sheered where it slides in cam sensor.
Oil galley plugs popped out.
Roll pin on cam sensor gear sheered.
Oil pressure relief stuck wide open.
Timing cover gasket has internal leak.

Not likely but possible...
Plugged oil pressure/suction ports.
Push rod came out and lifter is up uncovering the main oil galley.

There may be others too but that should keep you busy in the next day or two...:D

lost oil pressure

Thanks for the suggestions I think the motor is just going to come out today I've already tore it down this far might as well, the oil pump gear is still pressed on the shaft and it engages the cam sensor,I guess this gives me the excuse to fix that darn intake gasket leak:mad: