Lost compression at drag strip

Good deal, sounds good.. i think ill go for it as soon as i get a chance. Whats the best way to get the turbo exhaust nuts loose? Ive tried everything except putting a little heat on em, they are giving me a fit, slowing up my whole project. I split the header right in between the two raised spots down below the turbo so i gotta swap the header out for another one which i have an extra set but ive caught hell trying to get the header off so i can get the head off!

Normally you just hang a wrench or ratchet on them and crack them loose. Do you live in a salt area?

Also, take not as to what header bolts require those stupid studs. Take the one's that don't need the studs and cut them off. It makes header R&R so much easier when you don't have to use a deep well and machine lock the ratchet against the car.

When you go back together, use nickel based anti-seeze. You'll thank yourself the next time they come off.

Use PB blaster and let them soak awhile. I bet you still break at least one. If you do, it's not the end of the world. I broke one and was able to get hold of it with a pipe wrench to remove it. Hardware store ended up coming through with the correct stainless hardware in metric size. Gotta love local hardware stores!!

the heads are coming off so even if one gets broken, it's no big deal.

If it were me and I had a bolt fighting me, I'd just break the damn thing off. No reason to spend 5 hours trying not to break it when it'll only take a few minutes to fix it if it breaks. (if the heads weren't coming off, that's be a different story)

No salt life here man, im in southern va. I got the 3 header to turbo bolts off, now to tackle the header flange bolts! Sigh,,,, sometimes i feel like these freakin cars aint worth it! All this headache & it's only a 12.30 car.. Errrrrrrr

get the crossover bolts out while the headers are still fixed.

Then get your mind set to break every bolt off. If Murphy has anything to do with it, you won't be able to break off any of them.

Crossover pipe is already dropped, just got header flange bolts left to do then heads come off for freshning up!

Just rip the header bolts out. The probably won't break but if they do, there's nothing special about them.

So what are the chances of the passenger side rear head bolt coming out, ( u know the one under the freakin heater box on the side of the head) with the motor in place??

Pull the passenger header, turbo and bracket in one big piece. It's much easier that way.

And yes, you can pull the head with he engine in place. It's a lot more fun if you have studs, but with bolts it's really not that bad. Here's a tip, take that rear lower bolts out first.... That way coolant can be running out before you lift the head off.

gotcha! i pretty much did all that but i didnt get it off yet. got drivers side head off but a few tuff head bolts left on pass side. tired of messing with it, been on it all day,, (what a freakin pain) i dont think ill be racing it anymore, cant risk having to do this crap again!! I know, cry me a river right? Hahahaha

You won't be crying that long.... once the engine proves itself you'll be back to beating on it :)

yep sure will, who owns a gn & dosent race it right! never worked on any serious engine stuff on it til now but the only thing im worried about is remembering all the junk thats got to be hooked back up when re-assembling eveything.

yep sure will, who owns a gn & dosent race it right! never worked on any serious engine stuff on it til now but the only thing im worried about is remembering all the junk thats got to be hooked back up when re-assembling eveything.

That's the fun part! Some day you'll be an expert and can help others.

i dunno bout the expert part lol but im learning alot & thanks alot to all the guys on here thats shooting me some good info.. No experience is better than hands on tho..

Anyone have any good preferances on what kind of engine bearings to use? Im about to work on it & need some opinions,, thanks