Looking to move within the year to Cumberland County PA. lots of questions HELP

Does anyone know the how to get a GC license in this town?
How are the Classic car regulations?
What neighborhood do i avoid at all cost?
Pros and cons of living in the deep country?
I am actively looking for property and one of my search criteria is "1 acre" minimum lot size.
How strict are the building regulations as far as new Garage and house renovations and extensions go?
Is there a maximum % of structure per land size? if so What is the % ?
How is the job market? I am currently a plumber and GC.

Does anyone know the how to get a GC license in this town?
How are the Classic car regulations?
What neighborhood do i avoid at all cost?
Pros and cons of living in the deep country?
I am actively looking for property and one of my search criteria is "1 acre" minimum lot size.
How strict are the building regulations as far as new Garage and house renovations and extensions go?
Is there a maximum % of structure per land size? if so What is the % ?
How is the job market? I am currently a plumber and GC.

I went to college out there, graduated about 10 years ago. I can tell you the following:

It's rural. Lots of farms. Smells like hot poo in the summer. Rains a lot. But it's quiet.

Our cars qualify for antique tags in PA. Legally limited to use one day a week. No hour restrictions with antique tags you pay a one time registration fee of $75 and that's it. No renewal needed. No inspection or emissions needed.

Property is cheap. If you want real quiet avoid any college towns (there are a few).

I cannot speak to any of your other questions.

What Boostian said.....
If you get out here and need any help, give me a shout, I'm just off RT81 in Harrisburg.

I wouldn't do antique tags, but would do classic ins. Well thats what i do here in NY.
Do antique. In PA:

Classic: 15 years, one day a week use, yearly safety inspection still required.

Antique: 25 years, no inspection, one day per week.

Do antique. In PA:

Classic: 15 years, one day a week use, yearly safety inspection still required.

Antique: 25 years, no inspection, one day per week.
Is there a way to do regular tags with classic ins?

Right now i have regular plates and NO restrictions per DMV, however I do have one restriction per insurance company, that is "pleasure use" only with unlimited miles.

Last edited:
Is there a way to do regular tags with classic ins?

Right now i have regular plates and NO restrictions per DMV, however I do have one restriction per insurance company, that is "pleasure use" only with unlimited miles.
In pa your tags have nothing to do with your insurance. I have antique tags and classic insurance through State Farm.

You can do regular tags with classic insurance also. But you will pay around $100 a year to the state between registration and inspection fees.

If you daily drive your Buick do that. If not, it doesn't make sense to have a standard yearly registration.

Using that zip code....9 results with 400K budget, 3+ bedrooms/1+ bathrooms and 1+ acres. Schools look good and taxes are cheap...compared to Nassau of course. :D

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/17055/beds-3/baths-1/price-1000-400000/ofbm-4/sby-2

20 mile radius....611 results.

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3/baths-1/price-1000-400000/ofbm-4/sby-2?ml=4
Almost like you want to get rid of me lol
I have been on Zillow for the last two weeks, and it is amazing the properties how much you get for the dollar compared to Nassau County, and my tax bill would be about a 1/4 or less of what I am paying now. I am paying $10k a year for a 40 X 100 lot.

I just got off of the phone with the Town of Mechanicsburg and the person that answered the phone said that
There is NO License requirement for GC
There is NO License requirement for Landscaping
Like a dummy i forgot to ask about a Plumbing License

Anyways Is this correct? or did i get incorrect info?

Almost like you want to get rid of me lol
I have been on Zillow for the last two weeks, and it is amazing the properties how much you get for the dollar compared to Nassau County, and my tax bill would be about a 1/4 or less of what I am paying now. I am paying $10k a year for a 40 X 100 lot.
You still here? :D

I'm close by too, between Harrisburg and Lancaster. I worked in that area for awhile as a Snap-On tech Rep. Carlisle car shows, Maple Grove, and Williams Grove are all close by. Hershey Park, Dutch Wonderland, Knoebels if you have kids. Anywhere around that area should have great opportunities for the plumbing trade. You also would be close enough to shame yourself with our MAGNA club. Joel, did you join yet?

Not yet Gary. It's been a rough time since I was at your place last. My father passed, and I've put everything g on the back burner so to speak. I plan on getting the car out and enjoying it this summer. I'll get joined up here shortly.