looking to get new wheels...wheel spacer safe?

6-b-kwik

getting back in it
looking to go 18x8.5 in front with 245/40/18
and 18x10 with 275/40/18 out back

called the wheel place and they are a set wheel he said i should have no problem fitting wheel especially since i have gnx flares on my car.now i seen anthor member on here has same wheels but is running a 2inch spacer out back and 1/1/4 out front! my question is howsafe are wheelspacers if i do this do i need longer wheel studs? i just wanna be safe if i have to use spacers? any help would be great

rear specs

Specifications
Wheel Size
18x10
Color
Gloss Black
Bolt Pattern
5-114.3/5-120
Offset
+25
Backspacing
Lip Depth
3.5"
Centerbore
TPMS Compatible
Yes
Approx. Weight
JWL/VIA Certified
Yes
Required Lug Nuts
Tuner Style

front

Specifications
Wheel Size
18x8.5
Color
Gloss Black
Bolt Pattern
5-114.3/5-120
Offset
+25
Backspacing
Lip Depth
1.75"
Centerbore
TPMS Compatible
Yes
Approx. Weight
JWL/VIA Certified
Yes
Required Lug Nuts
Tuner Style

How fast do you plan on going? I don't know how hard I would want to launch a car repeatedly with big spacers.

thatwhat i thought 2 ich is nuts i probly better off not buying if i have to do that....that backspacing alot as well

Just remember that with a huge spacer on the car you'll need to torque the wheels just about every time you drive it to make sure they're tight. I've had a wheel come off once due to me trusting someone else that put the wheel on. I also know that most large corporations like firestone won't touch the car to install the wheels because of liability issues.

At the 2" mark, you'd be using adapters instead of just a spacer. The adapter bolts to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the adapter. I ran '99 Trans Am wheels with 2.5" adapters for a while and now have 7/16" adapters on the rear to run the current ROHs.
I wouldn't hesitate to run them on anything.

I run ROH Drift-R wheels on my GN for now, they sound the same if not what you are running,inch an 1/2 adaptor in front an 2" out back. I mounted Falken Azenis's,autocross tire, 255/40/18's on front an 295/40/18's in the back. The car is now a Go-Cart!! I have 600+HP an have had no issues with the billet spacers launching or in hard corners. I did have an issue when i swapped front a-arms an disk brakes, the arms an brake kit sets the wheel out 1 1/2", so now i only run 1/4 spacer boltless in the front.Be sure you blue lock tight the adaptors's on!!

GN side close.jpgGN side close 2.jpg

Attachments

• GN side close 2.jpg
    GN side close 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 282
I would not feel comfortable running those size spacers. I run 1/2" in the back and that's max for me. That's with 1/2" studs, etc.. Would not consider that for the front. Put's way to much stress on suspension parts having wheel hang out that much away from hub. Especially if you don't have to and are ordering brand new wheels. If they can't accomodate your offset with a maybe 1/4-1/2 spacer, go with another manufacturer. Way to many options out there. Hope this helps.

Suspension geometry is changed as well. If you go that route an alignment is highly reccomended.

I've been running hubcentric 1.75" wheel adapters on my '86 2+2 for years. have 1,000 of miles on them and ran them over 160 mph for extended periods of time. They are stronger than the wheels they are bolted to.

I wouldn't use them on a wheely contest car, but on a street car with street tires, they work fine.