Looking for transmission advise....buy new or rebuild?

Dream Machine

Hi All,

I have a 1987 Regal T type .

Transmission does not have reverse and slips in other gears.

Should I have original rebuilt or buy a new one?

Thanks for any feed back,

Jeff

Last edited:
Not sure there's a such thing as a "new one"... unless theres a "SRTA" GM one you can buy, but you're best getting with a vendor to rebuild what you got.

Can't go wrong with dave, he's on the list of people that can build these monsters and stands by his work.

X2 on Dave he's the man to call...He does a lot of good work for me..

I have spent untold hours on the phone with Dave since purchasing some trans parts from him. Everything from tech help to just BSing about life and Buicks. He is a great guy and won't sell you anything you don't need.

It's also best if your valve body is still stock. No one likes to play with modded ones. Always missing something or hole enlarged.

I have spent untold hours on the phone with Dave since purchasing some trans parts from him. Everything from tech help to just BSing about life and Buicks. He is a great guy and won't sell you anything you don't need.

Same here, I'm rebuilding my transmission myself and purchased a complete kit from Dave. I have lost track of the times I've called him, and he's picked up EVERY time. His kit was packaged fantastic, everything was bagged and labeled with a check sheet so there were no questions as to what was what, plus it was all neat and compact to reduce the shipping cost as I'm in Canada. When your a newbie at doing one of these, his tech support is invaluable.