Looking for trans, stick with 2004r or other?

WhiskeyGN

I've got an '87 3.8L motor without a trans that's going into my 69 C/10 roller and was wondering what some recommendations were for what trans to put in. I'm thinking the 2004r is rare and since the motor isn't going back in a regal I'm open to suggestions. This will be a mild street build, figure no more than 400 ftlbs max. Thanks in advance.

When you say it will have 400ft/lbs I'm guessing you will be turbocharging/intercooling? With that, why wouldn't you go with the 2004r? Will it have the 86-87 setup? Then the tv cable is already worked out.
What is rare about the 2004r?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes I should have specified, an 3.8 turbo out of my old 87 GN plus intercooler, all I have is the short block at the moment and I didn't know if there was a more modern, more common trans that would be better. 2004R parts and cores are harder to find than others

All kinds of modern stuff. It all costs, how fast you want to go as it were. Id give a couple builders a call and see what you want to fit into your budget. 4l80e comes to mind if you are going the bulletproof, spendy route. Other wise I'd go 2004r. Plenty parts out there. Just have to search the right places. Summit, Jegs and the like aren't catering to us old Buick owners.

I was wondering if a 4l60e from a camero/firebird would bolt up. My thought was might as well get something more modern since I wasn't constrained to a Gbody platform but I don't know what bolts to that block off hand.

Here is what will bolt to a RWD 3.8 Buick;
THM 400
THM350
THM200
THM180
THM2004r
These units are Chevrolet bell housing only;
4l80E
4l60E
2004r can be bolted to a Chevy block

These are factory units but anything can be bolted to anything with the right adapter.

Right on thanks, are you sayin I can put a Chevy bellhousing on that motor or that I will need an adapter plate to do so? I'm not too savvy on these motors just yet

You will need an adapter to bolt the Chevy pattern to the Buick engine.